Big First Half Carries Endicott Past MIT In Final Football Game of Season

Big First Half Carries Endicott Past MIT In Final Football Game of Season

BEVERLY, Mass. – In the final game of the 2012 football season MIT fell behind big early and could not dig out of the hole as Endicott College scored 42 first half points on its way to a 49-14 victory over the Engineers. Three first half turnovers proved costly for the Engineers as the Gulls turned all three into touchdowns as they built a 42-7 halftime lead.

Things went quickly in the wrong direction for MIT (5-4, 4-3 NEFC) when sophomore Brad Goldsberry (Elizabeth, Colo.) fumbled the game's opening kickoff. Endicott's Nate Lewis recovered the miscue on the MIT 20 and seven plays later the Gulls cashed in when Jared DiBiase ran it in from seven yards out to give Endicott the lead less than three minutes in.

Late in the first quarter the Engineers drove into Endicott (8-2, 6-1 NEFC) territory when freshman Karson Ota (Katy, Texas) hauled in a 21-yard pass from sophomore Peter Williams (Portland, Ore.). MIT drove as far as the Endicott 20, but Williams was sacked and fumbled on the play, giving the ball back to the Gulls. Again Endicott turned it into points as it took just 1:26 to drive 77 yards, taking a 14-0 lead on DiBiase's five-yard run.

From there it was all Endicott in the second quarter, as the Gulls scored touchdowns on each of their five possessions to effectively put the game out of reach for MIT. The Engineers finally got on the board at the six minute mark of the second, using their ground game to grind out a 10-play, 75-yard drive. Sophomore Justin Wallace (Palatine, Ill.) picked up 17 yards and Williams 38, including a five-yard scoring run to cut the Endicott lead to 28-7. But the Gulls went on to add two more scores to build their halftime lead.

After forcing an Endicott punt on its first possession of the second half, MIT put together a nice drive and again took the ball into Gulls territory. Twice on the drive Williams hit on 14-yard passes on third down plays, one to Ota and the other to freshman Seve Esparrago (St. Louis, Mo.), to keep the drive alive. The Engineers picked up a first and goal on the nine, but Williams' pass to Goldsberry on fourth down from the five was broken up as the Gulls kept MIT out of the end zone.

Endicott then drove 95 yards to score its final points of the night, getting a one-yard run from Jimmy Nguyen that capped off the drive at the 10:51 mark. MIT answered with a scoring drive of its own as Wallace picked up a key first down with an 18-yard run and then scored from three yards out with 8:02 left.

Endicott then ran nearly seven minutes off the clock on its next possession as the Gulls ran it on 12 straight plays as they effectively ran out the clock.

Endicott put up 493 yards of total offense, with Mike Wheeler gaining 136 and DiBiase 107 on the ground. Quarterback Drew Frenette threw for 205 yards and two scores, completing 18 of his 20 attempts. MIT had 294 yards of offense, with Wallace running for 84 yards on 22 carries and Williams completing 13-of-22 for 129 yards. Goldsberry led the MIT receivers with five catches for 42 yards. Junior Jake Laux (Dousman, Wis.) completed his outstanding season at linebacker, leading all players with 16 tackles. His season total of 121 was just two short of the school record set in 1990 by Darcy Prather.