UMass Dartmouth Drops MIT, 34-6

UMass Dartmouth Drops MIT, 34-6

Oct. 15, 2005

Box Score

Dave Geringer, UMass Dartmouth Sports Information

NORTH DARTMOUTH, Mass. - Neither a wet surface nor a driving rainstorm could keep the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth football from winning their second game in a row and their first home game of the season Saturday. The Corsairs scored two touchdowns in a span of 3:34 late in the first half, took a 20-0 halftime lead and went on to a 34-6 New England Football Conference victory over the MIT at Cressy Field Saturday afternoon.

Leading, 6-0, the Corsairs started at the Engineers' 49-yard line after Matt Ramirez' 25-yard punt. Junior running back Jameson Humpfries carried the ball twice for 12 yards and a first down, sophomore running back Rob Sullivan ran for 16 yards and another first down, then Humphries carried thrice more, the third time for a one-yard touchdown that made it 13-0.

Just a few minutes later, UMass Dartmouth was knocking at the door again. MIT had a fourth down at their 37, and Ramirez' punt was blocked by senior linebacker Eric Meza. Sullivan rushed for 11 yards and a first down; then carried three more times. On his third carry, the ball popped out of his arms into the end zone, where sophomore offensive tackle Dan Reutzal recovered it for a touchdown to make it 20-0 with 1:22 remaining before halftime.

The Corsairs had used senior Derek Bealby's first two field goals of the season to take a 6-0 lead. Freshman Mike Crusco returned Ramirez' punt 29 yards to the MIT 13 with 2:08 left in the first quarter, setting up Bealby's 28 yard field goal that made it 3-0. A 54-yard pass from freshman quarterback Alex Garro to senior slotback Manny Lopes set up a 31-yard field goal by Bealby that made it 6-0 with nine minutes remaining in the first half.

UMD's third touchdown was set up when Ramirez bobbled the snap on a punt and had to try to run for a first down. The Corsairs took over at the MIT 16 yard line with 5:55 remaining in the third quarter. Sullivan ran twice, the second time for 10 yards and a touchdown.

Freshman cornerback Randall Duarte's interception at the MIT 10 set up UMass Dartmouth's final score. Freshman running back Aaron Russon carried the last 10 yards, going two yards to score with 6:25 remaining.

On the ensuing drive, Stephen Toth's 34-yard pass to Kevin Vogelsang set up MIT's lone score. Robert Utz bulled his way into the end zone from 14 yards with 3:34 left to play.

"We rushed with three guys, and we covered with eight, and we thought we had eight people who could cover," said UMass Dartmouth Head Coach Bill Kavanaugh. "We thought that if they tried to run the ball, we could stop them. We hit some big plays. Mike Crusco's kick return before the first field goal, Derek Bealby's field goal, and the pass from Alex to Manny Lopes were all big plays. We are getting better, and we have the right people in the right places. We think we have a pretty good ballclub right now."

Humphries rushed 20 times for 90 yards, while Garro completed 10 of 15 passes for 123 yards. Lopes caught six passes for 90 yards.

Utz led MIT with 66 yards on 26 carries, and quarterback Rick Mancuso was eight of 21 for 64 yards.

The Corsairs improved to 2-5, 2-2 in NEFC Boyd Division play with the win, while MIT dropped to 2-4 and 1-2.