MIT Football Rallies Big to Upend Salve Regina, 40-25

MIT Football Rallies Big to Upend Salve Regina, 40-25

Oct. 21, 2006

Box Score

By Salve Regina Sports Information

NEWPORT, R.I. - MIT scored touchdowns on its final five possessions and rallied from a 13-point deficit in the second half to defeat Salve Regina 40-25 in a New England Football Conference Boyd Division game Saturday afternoon.

The Engineers (2-5, 1-4 NEFC) trailed 19-6 after an eight-yard touchdown pass from Salve Regina's Robert Higle to wide receiver Scott Peters with 10:03 to go in the third quarter. The score remained that way until MIT scored two touchdowns in a span of 1:33 in the closing moments of the third.

Freshman DeRon Brown got the Engineers rolling when he punched it in from two yards out to close the gap to 19-13 with 2:38 left in the third. On the next possession for the Seahawks (1-6, 0-5 NEFC), freshman quarterback Jeff St. Onge was charged with a fumble on a botched pitch to junior running back Louy Marroquin that was recovered by MIT's David Nackoul at the Salve 14. After a 10-yard run by Brown (11 rushes, 40 yards), Robert Utz [Cockeysville, Md.] powered in from four yards out to tie the game. An extra point by Corey Garvey put MIT on top 20-19.

After stopping Salve's next possession in four plays, the Engineers drove 75 yards on 12 plays, culminating with a 23-yard touchdown pass from Rick Mancuso to Kevin Vogelsang. Vogelsang, who later added a second touchdown catch, finished with six catches for a game-high 126 yards.

The second-half onslaught was a surprise after Salve Regina had controlled play for much of the first three quarters. Spurred by strong games from Marroquin (160 all-purpose yards) and Higle (17-26-0, 232 yards 3 TDs), the Seahawks moved the ball offensively, particularly in the first half.

On the first play from scrimmage for Salve Regina, Marroquin took a shovel pass from Higle 52 yards for a touchdown. An extra point by Andrew Monaco made it 7-0. MIT scored on its next possession to pull within 7-6.

After the teams traded possessions, Higle led the Seahawks on a seven-play, 54 yard drive that ended with a one-yard touchdown pass to Antonio Guzzo. Higle completed four straight for 32 yards on the drive.

Guzzo finished the day with six catches for 75 yards. Marroquin, who rushed for 91 yards on the day, helped set up the score with a 20-yard scamper to the MIT 18. On its first possession of the third quarter, Salve Regina drove 66 yards on eight plays en route to an eight-yard touchdown pass from Higle to Scott Peters. The score gave the Seahawks a seemingly commanding 19-6 lead before MIT began its comeback. For Peters, who had six catches for 74 yards, it was his third touchdown catch of the season.

Mancuso completed 13-of-31 passes and finished with a season-high 219 yards. T.C. Scotton led an impressive rushing attack for the Engineers, finishing the game with 93 yards on 17 carries.