UMass Dartmouth Defeats MIT, 13-7

Junior Chris Cook
Junior Chris Cook

NORTH DARTMOUTH, Mass. – Host UMass Dartmouth outscored MIT, 8-1, in the first half en route to a 13-7 victory in non-conference men's lacrosse action on Tuesday night. Sophomore Paul Orrson (Baltimore, Md.) generated a team-high four points on two goals and two assists as the Engineers' ledger lowered to 4-5 on the year.

Freshman Harris Stolzenberg (Weston, Fla.) registered two goals, an assist, and three groundballs as classmate Michael Traub (Aliso Viejo, Calif.) posted two goals, five groundballs, and a caused turnover. Junior Chris Cook (Tully, N.Y.) notched one goal and six groundballs while senior Joel Santisteban (Lawrence, N.Y.) produced three groundballs and three caused turnovers. Junior John Kramer (Glastonbury, Conn.) added two caused turnovers while senior Britt Cyr (Cincinnati, Ohio) had five face-off wins and three groundballs. In net, sophomore Eric Bartell (San Diego, Calif.) tallied 13 saves, four groundballs, and one caused turnover for MIT.

The early stages of the game were a back-and-forth affair until the Corsairs found the back of the net midway through the first quarter. The defensive battle resumed but UMass Dartmouth rattled off three goals during the final 3:44 of action. The Corsairs carried the momentum into the second stanza as they scored after nine seconds expired and then increased their margin to 6-0 just over a minute later. The Engineers eventually ended the shutout with 7:54 on the clock when Stolzenberg collected a groundball off of sophomore Luke Verdi's (Middletown, Md.) saved shot and beat the goalie for the marker. Turnovers eventually led to UMass Dartmouth's next two goals that came inside the final 1:23 of the half.

MIT capitalized on a penalty assessed at the end of the second quarter as Orrson redirected a feed from Stolzenberg 23 seconds into the frame, narrowing the gap to 8-2. The Corsairs responded with three unanswered goals to build their largest advantage of the night (11-2) at the 7:44 mark. Orrson initiated the next two goals for the Engineers as he set-up Cook for a man-up strike and then found Traub with 4:58 on the clock. UMass Dartmouth upped the lead to 12-4 a minute later but a solo effort from Stolzenberg at 1:49 kept the visitors within striking distance.

The Cardinal and Gray kept the pressure on in the fourth quarter but did not convert until a strike by Orrson with 6:40 left to play. The Corsairs ended their scoring drought at the 4:38 mark while Traub provided the final marker 55 seconds later. Down the stretch, the Engineers generated three shots on net but UMass Dartmouth's third goalie of the game turned away each attempt.

MIT resumes NEWMAC play on Saturday, April 5 when it hosts nationally-ranked No. 13 Springfield College.