Fourth-Quarter Rally Powers MIT Past Massachusetts Maritime, 8-6

Senior Joel Santisteban
Senior Joel Santisteban

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – MIT generated six unanswered goals during the fourth quarter to come from behind to defeat Massachusetts Maritime Academy, 8-6, in a NEWMAC men's lacrosse game on Saturday. Sophomore Paul Orrson (Baltimore, Md.) led the way for the Engineers (9-7, 4-2 NEWMAC) with a game-high five points on three goals and two assists. Sophomore Reed McLean (Wilbraham, Mass.) paced the Buccaneers (7-8, 1-5 NEWMAC) with two goals in their final game of the year.

MIT will continue its season next week as the No. 3 seed in the NEWMAC Tournament. The Engineers will visit either Babson College or Springfield College for a semifinal match-up on Wednesday, April 30.

Although the first half was a back-and-forth affair, Massachusetts Maritime controlled the action as it held a 2-1 edge at the intermission. Sophomore Anthony Kurylak (Exeter, N.H.) put the visitors on the board after 2:23 expired while the lead grew to 2-0 at the 9:03 mark of the second quarter courtesy of a solo effort by freshman Ryan McNeill (Burlington, Mass.). MIT ended the shutout less than three minutes later on Orrson's unassisted marker.

In the third quarter, Orrson found sophomore Graham Francis (Palos Verdes Estates, Calif.) for the equalizer with 10:13 on the clock. The Buccaneers responded with four straight goals to establish 6-2 lead late in the frame. McLean recorded the first two tallies a minute apart as freshman Sam Jarvis (Laurel Springs, N.J.) earned the assist on the first strike at the 8:22 mark. Junior Dylan Freundenberg (Islip, N.Y.) quickly redirected a feed from freshman Andrew Lawrence (Reading, Mass.) while sophomore C.J. Hanson (Melrose, Mass.) capped the scoring spree with just under three minutes left in the period.

MIT's comeback bid began 20 seconds into the final frame as Orrson converted a pass from freshman Harris Stolzenberg (Weston, Fla.) for a man-up strike. Sophomore goalie Eric Bartell (San Diego, Calif.) turned away three shots by the Buccaneers before freshman Michael Traub (Aliso Viejo, Calif.) found the back of the net to bring the Engineers within two (6-4) at the 8:57 mark. Orrson then cut the deficit in half exactly 3:12 later as Stolzenberg evened the score at six with 4:25 left to play. After an exchange in possessions, Stolzenberg registered what proved to be the game-winner with 2:45 on the clock.

Massachusetts Maritime won the ensuing faceoff that resulted in a Jarvis shot sailing wide of the net. Moments later, the Buccaneers were awarded an extra-man opportunity; however, a turnover nine seconds in gave the ball back to MIT with 1:32 remaining. Following a successful clear, the Engineers attempted to run out of the clock until Orrson found Francis for an insurance marker with nine ticks left.

Stolzenberg finished with two goals and two assists as senior Joel Santisteban (Lawrence, N.Y.) compiled seven groundballs and three caused turnovers. Senior Britt Cyr (Cincinnati, Ohio) went 9-of-16 in faceoffs and posted five groundballs while junior John Kramer (Glastonbury, Conn.) totaled four groundballs and four caused turnovers. Senior Tim Wilczynski (Old Lyme, Conn.) chipped in three groundballs as Bartell produced six saves and five groundballs.

In net, senior Paul Painten (Walpole, Mass.) tallied five saves, four groundballs, and two caused turnovers in the first half while freshman Keison Cunningham (Weymouth, Mass.) finished the game for the Buccaneers with six saves. Sophomore Nicholas Foley (Kingston, Mass.) was 7-of-10 in faceoffs for Massachusetts Maritime as senior Stephen Ferro (South Deerfield, Mass.) tallied five groundballs and four caused turnovers. Senior Fernando Biwer Paz (East Sandwich, Mass.) came up with four groundballs while freshman Eric Murphy (Danvers, Mass.) had three groundballs and two caused turnovers.