Babson Edges Out MIT, 12-11

Luke Gianni
Courtesy of


- Score: Babson College 12, MIT 11

- Records: MIT (7-7, 3-3 NEWMAC); Babson (9-5, 6-0 NEWMAC)

- Location: Babson Park, Mass. (McDowell Field)

- The Lead: In a back-and-forth game that featured eight ties and five lead changes, Babson College netted the game-winning goal with 36 seconds left to play, capturing a 12-11 win over MIT in NEWMAC men's lacrosse action on Wednesday night. Senior Graham Davis (Crofton, Md.) paced the Engineers with a game-high five goals.


- Davis put MIT on the board after 1:03 expired but Babson rattled off three goals in a row. The Engineers narrowed the gap to 3-2 when senior Mitch Turley (Westfield, Ind.) connected on a pass from sophomore Jonathan Monahemi (Great Neck, N.Y.) midway through the frame.

- The score remained unchanged until sophomore Jack Strachan (Moresville, N.C.) found the back of the net at the 13:39 mark of the second stanza. Freshman Luke Gianni (Henderson, Nev.) won the ensuing faceoff and scored in seven seconds, giving MIT a 4-3 edge. The Beavers generated back-to-back goals, but the Engineers responded with two of their own. Davis notched an unassisted marker and then Gianni won the faceoff and put the visitors in front, 6-5, with 6:11 on the clock. Babson tied the game with under four minutes left in the frame, however, Davis completed the hat trick with 30 seconds to go.

- Babson produced the sixth tie of the game following 1:11 of action, creating a 7-7 deadlock. MIT countered with a three-goal spurt that included strikes by freshman Nicolas Gianni (Henderson, Nev.), Davis, and Turley. The Beavers ended their scoring drought with 4:11 to go and then cut their deficit in half (10-9) less than two minutes later.

- The hosts recorded the equalizer 3:40 into the final frame and eventually went up 11-10 with 2:11 left to play. During the nine-minute defensive battle, MIT generated nine shots, including four on goal, compared to four shots by Babson. The Engineers ended the fourth-quarter shutout courtesy of a solo effort by Davis with 1:18 remaining. Luke Gianni won the faceoff and after a timeout, freshman Mark Heatzig's (Boca Raton, Fla.) shot was saved. The Beavers then scored the game-winning goal in transition with 36 seconds on the clock. Following another Luke Gianni faceoff win and a timeout, the Engineers turned the ball over during the waning seconds.


- Luke Gianni was 20-of-26 in faceoffs and amassed 19 groundballs, tying the MIT single-game record that was set by Eli Weinberg '02 in 2000. Turley finished with two goals and four groundballs while senior David Klee (East Greenbush, N.Y.) and freshman Gavin Vandenberg (Elmhurst, Ill.) both contributed three groundballs. In net, junior Victor Fink (Haverford, Pa.) made five saves.

- The Engineers led the way in faceoff wins (21-6) and groundballs (47-33) while both teams produced 38 shots.

- MIT was 8-of-10 in clearing attempts while Babson was 14-of-15.


- MIT closes out the regular season on Saturday, April 28 when it hosts NEWMAC rival Clark University at 1:00 p.m.


- For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.