MIT Posts Come-From-Behind Victory Over Wheaton

MIT Posts Come-From-Behind Victory Over Wheaton

April 2, 2005

Box Score

CAMBRIDGE, MASS. - Isaac Taylor tallied five goals, including the game-winner, in MIT's 12-11 come-from-behind win over Wheaton College on Saturday. Andrew Rohan paced the Lyons with five points on four goals and an assist. The Engineers improve to 3-2 overall and 2-0 in the Pilgrim Lacrosse League while Wheaton falls to 2-4 on the year and 0-2 in conference play.

Rohan wasted no time getting Wheaton on the scoreboard by connecting on a feed from Richie Rasamny after eight seconds had elapsed. Taylor countered with an unassisted goal eight seconds later. Rohan returned the lead to the Lyons at the 11:24 mark. Once again, Taylor notched the equalizer, converting a pass from Patrick Bossi. A goal by Wheaton's Ellis Reavey was answered with a score from Tech's Scott Purchase. For the third time in the period, Rohan gave his squad the edge, completing a hat-trick by scoring on a pass from Larry Nussbaum. Rohan then set-up John Sharry, resulting in a 5-3 lead for the Lyons at the end of the period.

Taylor Jackson opened the scoring for Wheaton in the second stanza with an unassisted goal at 9:10. MIT's Taylor narrowed the deficit to two (6-4) over a minute later. The Lyons' Adam Cohen posted back-to-back goals, giving them their largest advantage of the game with 4:20 left in the half. The Engineers cut the margin back down to two during the next 1:06 on goals from Taylor and Carter Powers. Wheaton maintained its 8-6 lead through halftime.

In the third quarter, Clinton Cain brought Tech within one at 9:14. The game remained scoreless until the 1:32 mark when Jackson re-established Wheaton's two-goal cushion (9-7).

Once again, Cain struck first for MIT, scoring at 12:12 on a feed from Tyler Sorba. Powers tied the game with an unassisted goal less than three minutes later. The Lyons' Jackson ended the deadlock with an unassisted goal of his own at 3:37. Jonathan Stolmeier responded with back-to-back goals, resulting in the Engineers' first lead of the game (11-10) with 2:06 left to play. Wheaton continued to attack with Rohan connecting on a pass from Jackson at 1:39. Just like in the first period, Tech's Taylor answered with the game-winning goal 15 seconds later.

In the net, Zach Brewer collected 18 saves for MIT while Nick Jones finished with 11 for Wheaton.

The next game for MIT will be on Saturday, April 9 when it travels to Pilgrim Lacrosse League foe Massachusetts Maritime Academy.