MIT Defeats Daniel Webster, 16-4, in ECAC Play-In Game

MIT Defeats Daniel Webster, 16-4, in ECAC Play-In Game

May 9, 2007

Box Score

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - Seven goals in the first quarter proved to be the difference as MIT went on to record a 16-4 victory over Daniel Webster College in an ECAC Division III New England Men's Lacrosse Championship Tournament play-in game on Wednesday. The No. 4-seeded Engineers will take on host and top-seed Plymouth State University on Saturday, May 12 at 12:00 p.m.

In their first ECAC tournament appearance, the Eagles (7-6) were led by Brandon Bell's two goals and two assists. Craig Van Tuyl notched a team-high five groundballs as Adam McKellar collected 12 saves. Ryan Ballentine (two goals, three assists), Tyler Sorba (four goals, one assist), and Jonathan Stolmeier (three goals, two assists) each notched five points apiece for MIT (7-6). Patrick Shannon amassed a game-high six groundballs while Zach Brewer made 15 saves.

The Engineers built a five-goal lead during the opening five minutes of the contest. Dylan Roden started the run, which was followed by a goal from Brian LaCrosse that was set up by Stolmeier. Stolmeier quickly found the back of the net before Sorba connected on a feed from Shannon. Ballentine capped the spurt by recording what proved to be the game-winning goal at the 9:55 mark. Stolmeier collected his third point of the frame when he scored on a pass from Sorba. A strike by Corey Garvey extended MIT's advantage to 7-0 at the close of the period.

Tech continued to attack in the second stanza as Ballentine and Tom Hay each contributed a goal. Daniel Webster ended the shutout with 7:36 on the clock when John Estey converted a feed from Bell for his third goal of the season. MIT countered with two more goals to enter the break ahead, 11-1.

Each side traded goals throughout the third quarter. Sorba led off with a strike that was assisted by Brennan Sherry. Bell responded by connecting on a pass from Craig Van Tuyl before Stolmeier set up Sorba for his fourth goal of the day. With 1:30 left, Bell found Brian Abrahamson to narrow the gap to 13-3.

The Engineers posted three consecutive goals to start the final frame, with Roden once again sparking the run. Garvey earned back-to-back assists on a goal by Ebbe Strathairn and an extra-man tally by Will Gibson. Bell capped the scoring with an unassisted strike with 1:30 remaining.