Engineers Overpower Newbury, 6-0

Engineers Overpower Newbury, 6-0

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The MIT men's soccer team saw seven different players record at least one point in its 6-0 victory over Newbury College on Saturday night. Zachary Kabelac led the way with two goals and an assist for the Engineers, who improved to 3-2 on the year. With the loss, the Nighthawks' ledger lowered to 1-1 overall.

After three solid chances to get on the board early in the game, MIT found success in the 11th minute. Kabelac caught up to a throughball from Ben Lewis and sent a shot on goal that was initially stopped by goalie William McNally's dive. However, the ensuing rebound sailed into the top right corner of the net and gave Kabelac his second game-winning goal of the season.

Over four minutes later, the Engineers' extended their margin on another goal by Kabelac. With the ball on the near side of the box, Joey DeRosa dodged a defender and sent a quick pass to Kabelac who immediately tapped it inside of the near post.

Kabelac's final point of the night came when he set up Christian Therkelsen for his first goal of the season in the 20th minute. With his back to the net, Therkelsen one-touched Kabelac's pass, spun, and struck the ball with his left foot into the lower left corner.

Newbury nearly ended the shutout with 17 minutes remaining in the half on a left-footed blast by Shaundize Moosavizadeh that just grazed the left post. He continued to power the Nighthawks' attack late in the frame as his shot from his right foot narrowly missed the net. Almost 30 seconds later Moosavizadeh mounted a dangerous charge at the goal but MIT's backline thwarted the scoring attempt and preserved the 3-0 advantage heading into the break.

The defensive battle continued until David Hawes booted in a feed from Timothy Joubert in the 67th minute. Anthony Saad extended the Engineers' lead to 5-0 when he one-touched the ball, spun 360 degrees, and then directed his shot inside the far post.

Moosavizadeh once again provided Newbury with its best opportunity to register a goal when his blast in the 82nd minute forced MIT goalie Ernesto Reza to come off his line and make a diving stop.

The Cardinal and Gray capped the scoring with seven minutes remaining courtesy of the Hawes-Joubert tandem. Hawes sent a corner kick into the box, which was promptly headed in by Joubert.

McNally racked up 14 saves for the Nighthawks while Reza grabbed two saves for the Engineers.

Both squads continue non-conference play next week. MIT will travel to Emmanuel College on Monday, Sept. 13 while Newbury will make the trip to Regis College the following day.