Men's Soccer Ties Coast Guard in Double Overtime, 2-2

Senior Matthew Monheit
Senior Matthew Monheit

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – MIT men's soccer team tied the Coast Guard Academy by a score of 2-2 in double overtime following a very aggressive, back-and-forth New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) game on Roberts Field on Saturday evening. The Bears were able to score two goals in the first period compared to the Engineers' one but MIT tied it early in the second half to send the game to overtime. MIT is now 5-3-1 and 2-0-1 in NEWMAC play and the Bears are 5-3-2 and 1-1-1 in conference action.

Neither team was able to settle in the first few minutes of the game, but the ball spent the majority of the time near the Coast Guard goal. At 4:09, John Tarzian headed the ball into the left corner of the net off a corner kick by Alexander Lane, indicating the pace at which this game was destined to move. Less than two minutes later, junior Nicholas Diamantoni (Boca Raton, Fla.) had a great run down the left side of the field but was tripped, resulting in a penalty kick by senior Matthew Monheit (Abington, Pa.), which flew past keeper Richie Burns' hands to tie the game.

Burns had a diving save 10 minutes later with sophomore Sean Bingham (Garden City, N.Y.) running full speed at him. A minute later, Robert Copeland managed to make it past all MIT defenders but shot at the net with too much enthusiasm and the ball went to the right of the cage. At 34:15, Coast Guard earned its second goal of the night following a scuffle in front of the MIT net which resulted in an own goal. Tech turned it into overdrive in hopes of scoring the equalizer, sending three shots at Burns that all had to be saved, but was not able to clinch the goal it needed and headed into the second period trailing behind.

Less than a minute and a half into the second half, Bingham tied the score when he scored his ninth goal of the season when he evaded all of the defenders and shot to the upper left corner of the net. From that point on, both teams turned up the intensity, which resulted in a lot of saves by both Burns and sophomore Jake Amereno (Commack, N.Y.). Coast Guard had a handful of opportunities to, once again, take the lead when it fired three straight shots at the net, but each one was saved by Amereno. With six minutes remaining in the half, junior Gordon Glober (Jacksonville, Fla.) had an impressive sliding block right outside of the MIT box to ensure that the Bears would not be able to score. Time elapsed and, since neither team was able to score, the game went into the first overtime period.

Tech wasted no time upon returning to the field for the first 10 minute overtime period, with junior Chester Chambers (Columbia, Md.) and freshman Matthew De La Ossa (New York, N.Y.) sending simultaneous shots flying at the net, but both were saved by Burns. Amereno only had to make one save during that time and, with one more save by Burns, the game was forced into the second overtime period.

It was Coast Guard who took the first shot during the remaining 10 minute period this time, with Johnathan Ray sending the ball flying at the net, but Amereno was able to make the save. Lane, who had proved rather dangerous throughout the entire game, fired a shot at the net two minutes later but was also thwarted by Amereno. Neither MIT nor Coast Guard was able to secure the goal that both needed and the game ended with a tie.

MIT outshot Coast Guard, 30-26 and Burns had to make 13 saves compared to Amereno's nine. Bingham and fellow sophomore Austin Freel (San Diego, Calif.) led the Cardinal and Gray with their seven shots each.

The Engineers return to the field on Wednesday, Oct. 9 when they host Salve Regina University at 7:00 p.m.