Men's Soccer Records Third Consecutive Shutout, Defeating Framingham State, 7-0

Junior Bokil Lopez-Pineda
Junior Bokil Lopez-Pineda

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – In its second to last non-conference game of the season, the MIT men's soccer team blew past Framingham State University, scoring two goals in the first half and five in a span of 33 minutes in the second to give it a 7-0 victory over the Rams on a chilly Wednesday evening. Six different Engineers scored goals, with a handful of them notching their first goals of the season. Tech is now 10-3-1 on the season, while Framingham State fell to 4-11-1.

Sophomore Austin Freel (San Diego, Calif.) got things started when he put MIT on the board just 23 seconds into the first half, receiving a cross from senior Matthew Monheit (Abington, Pa.) and shooting the ball past diving keeper Francisco Anzoategui to the left side of the net. A few minutes later, the Rams had an opportunity at a goal when Nicholas Cotter found himself past the defenders and with nothing but keeper Sam Cannon (Scarsdale, N.Y.) in the way of him and the goal but junior Chester Chambers (Columbia, Md.) successfully blocked the shot. Less than 20 minutes later, Monheit scored his fifth goal of the season following a pass from junior Nicholas Diamantoni (Boca Raton, Fla.).

MIT turned it into overdrive when it returned to the field for the second half. Sophomore Sean Bingham (Garden City, N.Y.) scored his 15th of the season off a throw in from freshman Matthew De La Ossa (New York, N.Y.), sneaking past the defenders and shooting the ball at the net from well inside the box. Bingham is just one goal short of the 16 goals that he scored last season, which has him tied for second place in the MIT record book. Five minutes later, De La Ossa earned another assist, this time on a goal by sophomore Fernando Cunha (Ormond Beach, Fla.).

Following a yellow card on a Ram eight minutes later, Cunha found the back of the net once again on a penalty kick. Framingham State's replacement goalie, William Levitsky, had a great save moments later, punching the ball well out of the net. With 14 minutes remaining in the game, junior Bokil Lopez-Pineda (Eagan, Minn.) scored his first goal of the season and, 14 minutes later, senior Andrew Fijan (West Chester, Pa.) also notched his first of the season. Both Levitsky and Cannon made one more save before time elapsed.

The Engineers outshoot the Rams, 31-12, with Anzoategui and Levitsky combining to make 12 saves, while Cannon, who earned his third straight shutout and now has a record of 4-2, only had to make six saves. Cunha led Tech with his two goals and one assist for five points, while Freel led with his five shots on goal.

MIT will play in its final away game of the season on Saturday, Oct. 26, facing New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) rival Springfield College in what always turns out to be an exciting, aggressive game when these two teams meet. Kick off will be at 1:00 p.m. Following that game, the Cardinal and Gray will have just two more games to play before the NEWMAC Championships. Tech is currently still in first place in the conference seedings with an undefeated record of 4-0-1, just half a game ahead of Wheaton College.