Bingham’s Hat Trick Helps Lead MIT to a 4-3 win over Springfield

Sophomore Austin Freel
Sophomore Austin Freel

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. – At its final away game of the regular season, MIT men's soccer defeated New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) rival Springfield College by a score of 4-3 in overtime. Sophomore Sean Bingham (Garden City, N.Y.) scored three goals in less than a 13 minute span in the first period and, after the game was tied at 3-3 at the end of the second, senior Matthew Monheit (Abington, Pa.) netted the game-winner. Tech improved to 11-3-1 and a perfect 5-0-1 in conference play, while the Pride dipped to 12-4-0 and 3-2 in league action. The Engineers remain first in the NEWMAC, just one game ahead of Wheaton College with its record of 5-1.

It took a few minutes to settle but MIT finally won possession of the ball, taking back-to-back shots at the net just over 10 minutes into the first half, but both were saved by keeper Billy Schmid. At 22:45, Bingham scored his first of three goals, giving the Engineers a slight lead. This lead, however, did not last long, as Drew Vanasse scored the equalizer four minutes later. Bingham wasted no time, scoring his second goal just two minutes later, following a cross from classmate Austin Freel (San Diego, Calif.). Bingham closed out the hat trick at the 35 minute mark, scoring an unassisted goal. With his 18 goals on the season, Bingham is currently tied for first with Nick Nestle '03 for most goals scored in a season in Institute history.

Upon returning to the field for the second half, Springfield lessened the gap with its second goal of the afternoon, scored by Ryan Malone at the 52 minute mark. With 19 minutes remaining on the clock, the Pride's Danny Amato tied the game at three. MIT's one good chance at a goal, shot by Freel five minutes later, was thwarted by Schmid, while Springfield was held to zero shots in the remaining minutes of the period. With the score locked, the game went into the first overtime period.

Less than 30 seconds into the first 10 minute period, Amato looked to score his second goal of the game but sophomore goalie Jake Amereno (Commack, N.Y.), who was appearing in his first game in two weeks, was able to make the save. Four minutes later, he made another save when Malone fired directly at the net. With time quickly running out and it looking more and more likely that the game would be sent into the second overtime period, Monheit found the back of the net with just three minutes remaining in the period, ending the game with an exciting victory.

MIT slightly outshot Springfield, 17-13. Schmid made six saves throughout the game, while Amereno, who played all 96 minutes and improved to 8-1-1 on the season, only had to make four saves. Bingham led the Engineers, not only with his three goals and six points, but with his seven shots, while Freel was right behind him with six.

Tech will play its final non-conference game of the season on Wednesday, Oct. 30, facing Emmanuel College at 7:00 p.m. The Engineers will then host WPI on Saturday, Nov. 2 for its final home game of the regular season at 1:00 p.m. The first round of the NEWMAC Tournament will begin a few short days later on Wednesday, Nov. 6, while the semifinals and finals will be on Nov. 9 and 10.