MIT Men's Soccer Defeats Emmanuel in Final Non-Conference Game of Season, 3-1

MIT Men's Soccer Defeats Emmanuel in Final Non-Conference Game of Season, 3-1

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Scoring its first goal 20 minutes into the first half, the MIT men's soccer team were unstoppable for the rest of the game, scoring two more to defeat Emmanuel College in its final non-conference game of the season by a score of 3-1 on a crisp Wednesday evening on home turf. With his 19th goal this year that was scored near the end of the second half, sophomore Sean Bingham (Garden City, N.Y.) broke the Institute record for most goals scored in a season. Tech improved to 12-3-1, while the Saints dipped to 9-11.

Although the Engineers gained possession of the ball quickly, they had keeper Garrett Charette to contend with, who kept getting in the way of promising shots. Twenty minutes into the half, senior Matthew Monheit (Abington, Pa.) broke free of the defenders and shot at the net from well inside the box, but Charette was able to make the save. Seconds later, Monheit took another shot that hit the post. Bingham took a powerful shot after the keeper had been brought out of the net but another Saint was able to plant himself in the net and block it. No more than a minute later, Charette punched a shot by junior Nicholas Diamantoni (Boca Raton, Fla.) out of the net and directly at the feet of fellow juniorAlexander Dago (Chicago, Ill.), who pocketed the ball into the back of the net under the goalie's arm to notch his second of the season.

It was not until the 28th minute that Emmanuel took its first shot, at which point, Tech had already taken 11 shots. With eight minutes remaining in the half, junior keeper Sam Cannon(Scarsdale, N.Y.) booted the ball clear out of danger just as a Saint had broken through the defenders and was heading directly for the net, keeping the score at 1-0 heading into the second.

Emmanuel's best shot at a goal came five minutes into the second 45 minute period when Danny Richman fired at the net but sophomore goalie Jake Amereno (Commack, N.Y.), who was replacing Cannon in the MIT net, was able to make a diving save. Less than 10 minutes later, senior Jonathan Tebes (Hamden, Conn.) scored his first of the season when he received a cross from Diamantoni directly in front of the net and slipped it into the right corner of the net, seemingly without the keeper noticing. The Saints' lone goal of the game came at the 76 minute mark when Ryan Brady fired the ball past a diving Amereno following a free kick from Cian O'Sullivan.

With a one-point game on their hands and just 14 minutes remaining, the Engineers turned up the aggression in hopes of scoring one more goal. They got their wish as, with less than six minutes left on the clock, Bingham received a pass from freshman Tommy Harris (Lincoln, Ill.) and fired point blank at the net to give MIT a 3-1 lead. With one more save by Charette, the game ended with an MIT victory.

Tech outshot the Saints, 27-10, with Charette having to make an impressive 12 saves. Cannon, who improved to 5-2 on the season, made four saves, while Amereno only had to make three. Bingham took seven shots throughout the game, three of which had to be saved. Monheit was close behind with five shots.

MIT's senior day will occur at the final game of the regular season on Saturday, Nov. 2 against New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) rival WPI at 1:00 p.m. As they have been for the past few weeks, the Engineers are first in the NEWMAC standings, just half a game ahead of Wheaton College. The seedings for the upcoming NEWMAC Championships, which will begin exactly a week from today on Wednesday, Nov. 6, will be released after the final contests have been completed on Saturday.