- Score: MIT 2, UMass Boston 1
- Records: MIT (1-0-0), UMass Boston (0-1-0)
- Location: Boston, Mass. (James Cotter Field)
- The Lead: A pair of goals by senior captain Wesley Woo (Palo Alto, Calif.) and a strong performance in net by junior goalie Jeremy Cowham (Quincy, Mass.) led the MIT men's soccer team to a 2-1 non-conference victory over UMass Boston in both teams season openers on Friday night in Boston.
- 71st minute (70:08) – UMass Boston 1, MIT 1 – Nilton de Andrade dished the ball to Nick Fontana to tie the game up with less than 20 minutes to play in regulation.
- 75th minute (74:58) – MIT 2, UMass Boston 1 – Woo was awarded a penalty kick and buried it into the bottom left corner.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- MIT improves to 13-5-1 in the all-time series against UMass Boston after the Engineers 2-1 win tonight.
- Cowham, who earned the win with seven saves in net for the Engineers, made three stops over the final 1:13 of the game to improve to 1-0-0 this fall.
- Novoa's assist marks his first collegiate point of his career. The freshman also posted two shots in his debut.
- The Engineers and the Beacons were tied statistically in both shots (18-18) and corner kicks (4-4) tonight, while MIT held a 7-5 in saves.
- MIT hosts Newbury College in its home opener tomorrow night at 7:00 p.m. from Roberts Field at Steinbrenner Stadium.