Men's Soccer Overpowers Newbury, 8-2

Men's Soccer Overpowers Newbury, 8-2

Sept. 19, 2008

Box Score

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - In the inaugural meeting between both programs, the MIT men's soccer team defeated visiting Newbury College, 8-2, on Friday. Zachary Kabelac paced the Engineers (6-0-1) with three goals and two assists as Christian Therkelsen registered his first hat-trick of the season.

MIT opened the scoring 3:18 into the contest when Neil Zimmerman's throw-in from the far sideline crossed the box and was redirected by Therkelsen's left foot. Almost nine minutes later, Max Stein-Golenbock sent a throughball which was chased down by Zimmerman, who outraced three Newbury defenders and tapped the ball into the left side of the net. Kabelac then set up Therkelsen at the 13:50 mark before registering a solo blast from 25 yards out 15 seconds later to give the Engineers a 4-0 lead.

The Nighthawks (0-6-0) ended the shutout in the 30th minute when John Mawson corralled a rebound and found Andy Osei for his second goal of the season. MIT extended its advantage (5-1) on Kabelac's shot that deflected off a Newbury defender and sailed into the right side of the goal. The Nighthawks quickly answered with a solo effort by Anthony Fannoh III, who converted a turnover by the Engineers outside their box. Therkelsen completed the hat-trick courtesy of a feed from Kabelac in the 36th minute and then returned the favor four minutes later to put the Cardinal and Gray up, 7-2, at the break.

MIT carried the momentum into the second stanza as Lance Wall registered an unassisted goal after 3:48 elapsed. The remainder of the frame was a defensive battle with each side posting two shots on goal.

In net, Dylan Rankin collected four saves through 61 minutes while Javier Duarte closed out the game with one save for the Engineers. William McNally grabbed seven saves for the Nighthawks.

MIT continues its home-stand on Monday, Sept. 22 when it hosts Emerson College. On the same day, Newbury will host Brandeis University.