Lochmiller Scores Twice as Engineers Edge Past UMass Boston, 2-1

Lochmiller Scores Twice as Engineers Edge Past UMass Boston, 2-1

Oct. 23, 2007

Box Score

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - Senior Chase Lochmiller picked the perfect time to record the second multi-goal game of his career, as the striker's pair of early tallies pushed MIT past visiting UMass Boston, 2-1, in non-conference men's soccer action on Tuesday afternoon at Steinbrenner Stadium. Like Lochmiller, the entire Engineers squad seems to be peaking for the crucial end-of-the-season push, as the Cardinal and Gray is undefeated in its last four matches, notching three wins and a tie.

MIT moved to 8-4-2 overall with the win, while the Beacons fell to 8-8-0.

Vicious winds wreaked havoc on the match for the entirety of the 90 minutes, as the weather conditions proved to have a serious effect on the results on the field. With the wind at their backs in the first half, the Engineers out-shot UMass Boston, 9-1, while the Beacons turned it around in the second stanza to grab a 10-3 shot advantage.

Aided by the wind, MIT opened the scoring in just the 10th minute. Freshman Jason Zhu whipped in a corner kick from the left side, which UMass Boston goalkeeper Paul Maniscalco attempted to punch clear. However, a wicked swerve pushed the ball out of his reach and left Lochmiller with the simple task of heading home from a yard out.

The score was 2-0 to the home side in the 19th minute, when Lochmiller made the most of a half-chance from a tight angle. Rookie forward Christian Therkelsen was played through on goal from nearly midfield, but the freshman's shot was blocked by a backtracking defender. However, an alert Lochmiller pounced on the loose ball and slid his shot under Maniscalco and into the far corner.

It was nearly 3-0 in the 25th minute, but freshman midfielder Matt Talpe's spectacular full-volley effort struck the cross bar.

It was clear from the outset of the second half that the wind was a tremendous factor and would aid the Beacons in getting back into the match. A number of long-range efforts were put on net - most notably a knuckling strike from Ludji Chipps in the 59th minute - but Tech keeper Tom Caldwell was up to the challenge.

With exactly 13 minutes remaining in regulation, the visitors finally cut the deficit in half courtesy of a spectacular 25-yard drive off the foot of senior Guilherme Goncalves. After picking up a loose ball in space, the midfielder struck a dipping shot that nestled in the upper left corner of the net, leaving Caldwell with no chance.

The Beacons so nearly leveled the score less than two minutes after scoring their first, but Anthony Cataldo was denied from close range by a sliding Caldwell.

The Engineers played the final eight minutes with 10 players, after Lochmiller was ejected for receiving a second yellow card.

Caldwell made six saves in net for the Cardinal and Gray, while Maniscalco stopped four shots for the Beacons.

MIT will conclude its regular season schedule on Saturday, Oct. 27, when it will host WPI in a critical New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference showdown. Kickoff is set for 2:30 p.m. UMass Boston will also close out its regular season schedule with a home match on Saturday, at 1:00 p.m. against Plymouth State University.