MIT and Wheaton Battle to Scoreless Tie

MIT and Wheaton Battle to Scoreless Tie

Oct. 25, 2008

Box Score

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - Strong defensive play by both sides that yielded a total of 20 shots resulted in a 0-0 double overtime tie between MIT and Wheaton College in a New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) men's soccer game on Saturday. The Engineers, currently ranked fifth in the latest National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) New England poll, saw their ledger move to 14-1-2 overall and 4-0-1 in conference play. The even finish resulted in the Lyons' (9-4-3, 1-3-1 NEWMAC) third draw of their campaign.

MIT almost opened the scoring in the 18th minute. A shot by Christian Therkelsen was stopped by Wheaton goalie Cole Davidson, but the rebound remained alive in front of the goalmouth. The Engineers' faced an open net, however, their ensuing pursuit was called offsides. Just over a minute later, Wheaton nearly broke through as Ben Resnicow's header off a deep throw-in from Jake Wagner was cleared out at the goal line by Nitin Perumbeti. With four minutes left in the first half, the Lyons made a charge at net that got MIT netminder Tom Caldwell out of position. The open-net opportunity was short-lived as six members of the Cardinal and Gray flooded the box to thwart the scoring attempt.

In the 56th minute, Kevin Chou lobbed a free kick over Wheaton's wall that was punched out by Davidson before Zachary Kabelac could get his head on the ball. The Lyons earned a free kick of their own just outside of the box with 18 minutes remaining in regulation. Yuri Moreira sent a low shot around the wall but MIT's Andrew Bishara blocked the attempt. Less than five minutes later, Wheaton made another dangerous charge at net. Wagner sent a laser to the lower left corner of the net that was stopped by a dive from Caldwell.

The Lyons recorded a slim 8-6 edge in shots through regulation, but the Engineers accounted for all six shots in the extra sessions, including five in the first overtime period. In the 94th minute, MIT received a free kick at the top of the box. Therkelsen' strike curved around the wall but it hit the crossbar as Kabelac's header on the rebound sailed wide. Two minutes later, a shot from Max Stein-Golenbock was blocked by a Wheaton defender. Andrew Bishara corralled the carom but his ensuing attempt went over the crossbar. With 2:05 remaining in the frame, Kabelac saw his one-timer bounce off the cross bar.

In the 103rd minute MIT received the only corner kick of the contest, which was punched away by Davidson. The Lyons' best attempt down the stretch was a cross from Eric Driscoll along the end line that was pushed out of bounds by the wind.

The game was incredibly physical throughout, generating a total of 49 fouls. In net, Caldwell closed the day with four saves for the Engineers while Davidson collected five saves for Wheaton.

Both squads will close out regular season conference play on the road on Saturday, Nov. 1. MIT will travel to Babson College while Wheaton will make the trip to WPI.