MIT Upsets No. 4 Wheaton, 3-0

MIT Upsets No. 4 Wheaton, 3-0

Oct. 30, 2004

Box Score

CAMBRIDGE, MASS. - The MIT men's soccer team defeated nationally-ranked No. 4 Wheaton College, 3-0, in the final regular season NEWMAC game for both squads on Saturday. The win moved MIT (11-2-1, 5-1 NEWMAC) to a first-place tie with Wheaton (15-2-2, 5-1) in the conference standings heading into next week's Championship Tournament. The victory also marked the end of the Lyons' 13-game unbeaten streak, with their last loss occurring on Sept. 11.

Wheaton had the first opportunity to get on the scoreboard when it received a corner kick one minute into the game. The Engineers were able to stop this early threat and start its own offensive attack. Tech controlled the ball for the majority of the half, holding an 8-4 advantage in shots with several attempts narrowly missing the goal.

MIT ended the scoreless affair just 2:09 into the second frame. Dylan Wright sent a cross that bounced off Wheaton goalie Matt Pachniuk and landed at Robert Pilawa's feet who booted the ball in for the goal. The Lyons had a chance to tie the game seven minutes later when a shot by Gabe Margolis was stopped by MIT goalie Morgan Mills but the ball became loose in his arms. Mills then pounced on the ground, preventing Wheaton from taking another shot. Later on, after receiving one of its five second half corner kicks, Ryan Wilson re-directed the initial shot to the lower right corner of the goal but the ball was stopped at the last second by MIT's Christopher Desrochers.

Desrochers helped the Engineers on the other end of the field by setting up their second goal in the 71st minute. From the left side, he crossed the ball to Ryan Sheffler who headed it over his defender and then kicked it in midair into the goal. Three minutes later, Tech extended its lead when Jose Ramon Torradas converted a penalty kick.

MIT's Morgan Mills collected two saves in his fourth shutout of the season. Matt Pachniuk totaled three saves for Wheaton.