- Score: No. 22 MIT 6, No. 30 Wesleyan University 3
- Records: No. 22 MIT (10-2); No. 30 Wesleyan University (3-4)
- Location: Middletown, Conn. (Rosenbaum Squash Center)
- The Lead: In its first match of 2018, the No. 22 ranked MIT squash team defeated No. 30 Wesleyan University, 6-3, on Friday evening in Connecticut. With the win, the Engineers registered their tenth victory of the season marking the fourth-straight season in which MIT has reached double-digit wins.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Five of the six set wins from MIT came in 3-0 sweeps, while Avery Lamp (Short Hills, N.J.) won his match at position eight by a 3-1 final score (11-9, 7-11, 11-6, 11-8). Sophomore Vedaant Paul Kukadia (Manhasset, N.Y.) defeated Wesleyan captain Yahya Ladiwala, 12-10, 11-4, 11-5 at position two and freshman Henry Martin (Brooklyn, N.Y.) bested William Bienstock, 11-7, 11-4, 11-2 at position three.
- Kukadia and Martin were followed by freshman William Wu (Eagleville, Pa.) and senior Jeffrey Hu (Phoenixville, Pa.) at positions four and five, respectively, with three-set wins by scores of 11-9, 11-2, 11-6 and 11-3, 11-5, 11-7.
- At the top of the ladder, Wesleyan freshman Sean Choi defeated MIT freshman Joe O'Connor (Madison, N.J.) in five sets. The final match score was 11-9, 2-11, 11-9, 3-11, 12-10 in favor of Choi.
- MIT returns to action next weekend at the Pioneer Valley Round Robin in Western Massachusetts. The Engineers will take on four New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) teams including No. 24 Amherst College, No. 23 Colby College, No. 29 Connecticut College and No. 26 Hamilton College.
- For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Youtube.