- Score: No. 21 MIT 7, No. 23 Amherst College 2
- Records: No. 21 MIT (10-3); No. 23 Amherst College (3-5)
- Location: Amherst, Mass. (Davenport Squash Courts)
- The Lead: On the opening day of the 2019 Pioneer Valley Round Robin, the No. 21 MIT squash team defeated No. 23 Amherst College, 7-2. The Engineers picked up their fourth straight win against a nationally-ranked team this evening in western Massachusetts.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Four of MIT's seven points came in five-set victories. At position two, sophomore Joe O'Connor (Madison, N.J.) battled back from two sets down and topped Charlie Sutherby, 8-11, 6-11, 11-7, 11-8, 11-9, while classmate Henry Martin (Brooklyn, N.Y.) held off Robinson Armour, 11-8, 11-7, 8-11, 4-11, 12-10 at position three.
- At the bottom of the ladder, sophomore Robert Williamson (Weston, Mass.) earned a 10-12, 11-6, 12-10, 6-11, 11-9 win over Christopher Zimmerman and junior Neel Das (Needham, Mass.) picked up an 11-7, 4-11, 9-11, 11-8, 11-6 win over Reginald Brewster.
- Two Engineers earned three-set sweeps in their respective matches. At position one, first-year Aman Sanger (New York, N.Y.) eased past Terrence Wang, 11-8, 11-6, 11-5 and classmate Keith Lamp (Short Hills, N.J.) swept Robert Parker, 11-9, 11-2, 11-9 at position six.
- MIT's final point came from sophomore William Wu (Eagleville, Pa.) at position five as he defeated Pavan Nagaraj, 11-2, 8-11, 11-1, 11-8.
- In exhibition play, junior Wonjune Kang (Seoul, South Korea) edged Mateen Mills, 10-12, 9-11, 11-2, 12-10, 11-9.
- MIT returns to action tomorrow on day two of the Pioneer Valley Round Robin as the Engineers will take on No. 31 Wesleyan University at 9:30 am and No. 26 Colby College at 3:30 pm.
- For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.