- Score: No. 10 University of Virginia 5, No. 19 MIT 4
- Records: No. 19 MIT (12-4), No. 10 University of Virginia (11-5)
- Location: Charlottesville, Va. (McArthur Squash Center)
- The Lead: On Friday night, the No. 19 ranked MIT squash team dropped a hard-fought 5-4 final at No. 10 University of Virginia on Day One of the MASC Round Robin. The Engineers are ranked No. 19 in the nation, which marks the highest ranking in program history.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Cavaliers jumped out to an early 2-0 lead with victories in the No. 4 and No. 6 positions. The Engineers answered right back with a pair of 3-2 wins at No. 2 and No. 8 as sophomore Joe O'Connor (Madison, N.J.) and junior Neel Das (Needham, Mass.) pulled out their matches.
- At No. 2, O'Connor trailed UVA's William Braff by a 2-0 margin before earning three straight set victories by scores of 11-8, 11-1 and 11-5 to pick up the point. Das led 2-1 after three sets before the match with Matthew Katz headed to a fifth, where Das was eventually victorious at 12-10.
- The Cavaliers took a 3-2 lead in the match overall with a 3-1 victory at No. 9 as Charles Woodworth defeated sophomore Robert Williamson (Weston, Mass.). The two split the first two sets before the Cavaliers earned a pair of 11-4 set victories to clinch the point.
- Virginia earned points at No. 3 and No. 7 to clinch the match, including a 3-2 final at No. 7. Sophomore Henry Martin (Brooklyn, N.Y.) fell to UVA's Toby Hansford at No. 3 by a 3-1 score, while sophomore Brad Levin (Cockeysville, Md.) dropped the fifth set, 11-7, to fall at the seventh spot.
- MIT's William Wu (Eagleville, Pa.) defeated Andrew Braff 3-2 at No. 5, including an 11-8 score in the fifth after a back-and-forth 17-15 margin in the fourth set. The final point for the Engineers came at No. 1 by a 3-1 score as first-year Aman Sanger (New York, N.Y.) clinched the win over William Holey with an 11-7 final in the fourth set.
- MIT is back in action on Saturday, February 2nd as the Engineers take on No. 15 George Washington and No. 16 Franklin & Marshall in Day Two of the MASC Round Robin. The GW match begins at 10 a.m., while the F&M match starts at 6 p.m.