- Location: Middlebury, Vt. (Proctor Tennis Courts)
- The Lead: Led by an appearance in the Round of 16 in the singles bracket by junior Sean Ko (Danville, Calif.) and in the doubles bracket by junior Tyler Barr (Chagrin Falls, Ohio) and freshman Michael Zhao (Princeton Junction, N.J.), the MIT men's tennis team had a strong showing at this year's Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) New England Regional Tournament hosted at Middlebury College's Proctor Tennis Courts over the weekend.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Ko made it to the Round of 16 in the singles bracket after defeating Danny Coran of Tufts University 6-4, 6-2 and Jorge Aguirre Martinez of Wheaton College 6-2, 6-4. In his third match of the tournament, the junior was edged by sixth-seed William deQuant of Middlebury College 7-6 (5), 6-3 to end his run. deQuant closed last year ranked No. 17 in the country and No. 6 in New England in the ITA's singles rankings.
- Barr, who was the eighth-seed in this tournament after being ranked No. 9 regionally and No. 28 nationally last season, bested Jacob Eisenberg of Bates College by a 5-7, 6-2, 6-3 score but in the second round he retired after a very long opening set as Sumukh Pathi of Colby College was ahead 7-6 (4) at the time the match was called. Sophomore Victor Cheng (Santa Monica, Calif.) fell in his opening round match to Ethan Hillis of Amherst College, 7-6 (4), 6-3.
- In the doubles tournament, the seventh-seeded duo of Barr and Zhao advanced to the quarterfinal round. The duo defeated Rex Glickman and Kyle Scheffers of Trinity (Conn.), 8-2, in their first match and moved on to the third round after Gil Roddy and Justin Wang dropped out of the tournament on a default. In the Round of 8 match, however, Barr and Zhao fell to Anupreeth Coramutla and Jackson Kogan, 8-2.
- Cheng and freshman Charles Deng (Temple City, Calif.) edged Adam Bahney and Tom Hackett, 9-8 (3), in the opening round before the second-seeded duo of Alex Taylor and Brian Grodecki got the best of Cheng and Deng in the second round by an 8-1 final.
- MIT men's tennis returns to action on Friday, October 14 when the Engineers host their annual Fall Invitational. The tournament is expected to last through Sunday, October 15 and will feature teams and student-athletes from across New England.