- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (duPont Tennis Courts)
- The Lead: Led by appearances in the quarterfinals by freshman Charles Deng (Temple City, Calif.) in the singles main bracket as well as by Alex Cauneac (Severna Park, Md.) and Tyler Barr (Chagrin Falls, Ohio) in the doubles main bracket the Engineers had a successful run at their own fall invitational over the weekend. Additionally, Victor Cheng (Santa Monica, Calif.) and Albert Go (Merritt Island, Fla.) were the runners up in the doubles back draw.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In the singles main draw, Deng was the only MIT student-athlete to get out of the opening round as he advanced all the way to the quarterfinals of the bracket. He defeated Luke Cuervo of Bowdoin College 6-3, 6-0 in his first match, defeated No. 9 seed Boris Sorkin of Tufts University 2-6, 6-4, 6-1 in the second round. Deng then moved on to the quarterfinals after beating No. 6 seed Sachin Raghavan of Williams College in three sets 4-6, 6-1, 6-3 before falling to No. 3 seed Will de Quant of Middlebury College 6-4, 6-0 in the round of eight.
- In the singles back draw, freshman Michael Zhao (Princeton Junction, N.J.) defeated Luke Carstens of Bowdoin 6-0, 6-3 and Benjamin Battle of Tufts 6-4, 6-3 before bowing out on a three set loss to Alex Vanezis of Middlebury College 2-6, 7-6, 10-6 in his fourth match of the tournament. Barr, Cheng and Sean Ko (Danville, Calif.) also bounced back with wins in the consolation singles bracket as Barr bested Jonathan Holtzman of Wesleyan University 6-2, 6-0, Ko took down Benjamin Lebowitz of Williams 6-7 (8), 6-3, 10-4 and Cheng defeated Jason Scanlon of Tufts 7-6 (5), 6-2.
- In the doubles main draw, Cauneac and Barr advanced to the quarterfinals after defeating Tristan Young and Alan Delman of Bowdoin 8-1 and Steven Chen and Adrian Roji of Wesleyan, 8-4.
- Cheng and Go rounded out the highlights for MIT this weekend as they advanced to the finals of the doubles consolation bracket. The duo moved on to the quarterfinals after Middlebury's team defaulted, then bested the Tufts tandem of Niko Hereford and Ross Kamin 8-2 and Jackson Kogan and Rajan Vohra of Brandeis 9-7 in the semifinals. In the consolation championship, Cheng and Go were matched up with Arturo Kam and Calvin Chung of Williams College, but were edged by an 8-3 score.
- The MIT men's tennis team opens their spring schedule with a matchup at home against Division I foe Boston University on Tuesday, February 17 at 5:00 p.m.