- Score: MIT 7, Bentley University 2
- Records: MIT (2-1); Bentley University (3-3)
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (DuPont Tennis Courts)
- The Lead: Playing in its first outdoor match of the spring season, the MIT men's tennis team improved to 2-1 with a 7-2 win over Division II Bentley University on Wednesday afternoon in Cambridge.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Engineers took two of three doubles points to go up early this afternoon. Junior Tyler Barr (Chagrin Falls, Ohio) teamed up with freshman Michael Zhao (Princeton Junction, N.J.) for an 8-6 win at No. 1 doubles over Brendan McCarthy and George Samander. MIT got its other doubles point at No. 3 as junior Sean Ko (Danville, Calif.) and freshman Pablo Ampudia (San Antonio, Texas) defeated Connor Aulson and Nicholas Hatcher, 8-4.
- In singles play, the Engineers took five out of six points to put the match away by a 7-2 final score. At No. 2 singles, Ko came back from a set down to win 6-7 (5), 7-5, 10-8 over McCarthy, while MIT freshman Charles Deng (Temple City, Calif.) played a three-set thriller against Granat at No. 3 and won 7-6 (3), 4-6, 12-10.
- The other four singles matches were decided in straight sets. Barr defeated Samander, 6-2, 6-1 at No. 1, Go tallied a 6-3, 6-3 win over Aulson at No. 5 and Zhao took down Gilman, 6-1, 6-0 at No. 6. Bentley's Daniel Weitz edged Cheng 6-3, 6-4 at No. 3 for its lone point in singles action.
- MIT is off until next Wednesday, February 28 when the Engineers host Division I Bryant University at 4:00 p.m. This will be the final out of division match for MIT before the Engineers open Division III play against Tufts University on Saturday, March 10 at 1:00 p.m.