- Score: No. 4 Middlebury College 6, No. 21 MIT 3
- Records: No. 21 MIT (2-3), No. 4 Middlebury College (4-0)
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (JB Carr Tennis Bubble)
- The Lead: In a battle of two nationally-ranked teams and two of the top teams in the New England Region, No. 4 Middlebury College came away with a 6-3 win over No. 21 MIT in a non-conference men's tennis match on Saturday morning in Cambridge. MIT trailed 3-0 after doubles and the Engineers attempted to comeback in singles play but the run came up just short as the Panthers held on for the 6-3 win.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Middlebury swept all three doubles points for the early 3-0 advantage. MIT's Tyler Barr (Chagrin Falls, Ohio) and Alex Cauneac (Severna Park, Md.) played the closest doubles match at No. 1, but fell to Lubomir Cuba and Kyle Schlanger, 8-4. At No. 2 doubles, Noah Farrell and Peter Martin defeated Victor Cheng (Santa Monica, Calif.) and Michael Zhao (Princeton Junction, N.J.), 8-0, and at No. 3 doubles, Timo van der Geest and Nate Eazor bested Albert Go (Merritt Island, Fla.) and Sean Ko (Danville, Calif.), 8-2.
- MIT picked up its first point of the day when Cauneac won at No. 2 singles after Farrell retired with the score even at 2-2 in the first set. The Engineers also got wins in singles action via Cheng at No. 4 as he defeated van der Geest in three sets, 6-3, 5-7, 10-2 and by freshman Charles Deng (Temple City, Calif.) as he topped Alex Vanezis at No. 5 in straight sets, 6-3, 7-5.
- Middlebury claimed the match with Cuba's singles win at No. 1 over Barr, 6-3, 7-5, while Schlanger bested Ko, 6-3, 6-1 at No. 3 and Eazor topped Go, 1-6, 6-4, 10-7 at No. 6 to make the final score 6-3 in a tightly contested match.
- MIT has almost two weeks off before welcoming No. 2 Bowdoin College to Cambridge for a rematch of last year's NCAA Division III Tournament Third Round game on Friday, March 30 at 3:00 p.m.
- For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
Doubles - (Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1)
1. Lubomir Cuba/Kyle Schlanger (MID) def. Tyler Barr/Alex Cauneac (MIT) - 8-4
2. Noah Farrell/Peter Martin (MID) def. Victor Cheng/Michael Zhao (MIT) - 8-0
3. Timo van der Geest/Nate Eazor (MID) def. Albert Go/Sean Ko (MIT) - 8-2
Singles - (Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1, 4, 5, 6)
1. Lubomir Cuba (MID) def. Tyler Barr (MIT) - 6-3, 7-5
2. Alex Cauneac (MIT) def. Noah Farrell (MID) - won by retirement - was tied 2-2 in the 1st set
3. Kyle Schlanger (MID) def. Sean Ko (MIT) - 6-3, 6-1
4. Victor Cheng (MIT) def. Timo van der Geest (MID) - 6-3, 5-7, 10-2
5. Charles Deng (MIT) def. Alex Vanezis (MID) - 6-3, 7-5
6. Nate Eazor (MID) def. Albert Go (MIT) - 1-6, 6-4, 10-7