- Score: No. 26 MIT 8, Wheaton College 1
- Records: No. 26 MIT (5-4, 2-0 NEWMAC); Wheaton College (5-5, 1-1- NEWMAC)
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (J.B. Carr Tennis Bubble)
- The Lead: The No. 26 MIT men's tennis team improved to 2-0 in New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) play this afternoon as the Engineers defeated Wheaton College, 8-1, inside the J.B. Carr Tennis Bubble. With the win, MIT improved to 26-0 in the all-time series with Wheaton which dates back to the 1998-99 season.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- MIT took a 2-1 lead after doubles play as Tyler Barr (Chagrin Falls, Ohio) and Alex Cauneac (Severna Park, Md.) edged Jeremiah Ryser and Javier Esteban de Celis, 8-6, at No. 1 doubles and Albert Go (Merritt Island, Fla.) and Henry La Soya (Los Angeles, Calif.) topped Zach Strempel and Diego Garcia Anton, 8-4, at No. 3 doubles.
- Wheaton won its lone point of the match at No. 2 doubles as Jorge Aguirre Martinez and Ned Roosevelt defeated Sean Ko (Danville, Calif.) and Pablo Ampudia (San Antonio, Texas), 8-5.
- The Engineers won all six singles matches in straight sets to secure the NEWMAC win by an 8-1 score. Barr defeated Aguirre Martinez, 6-0, 6-1 at No. 1 singles, Cauneac defeated Ryser, 6-3, 6-3 at No. 2 and Victor Cheng (Santa Monica, Calif.) topped Esteban de Celis, 6-3, 6-1 at No. 3.
- Ko conceded only one game at No. 4 singles as he bested Roosevelt, 6-1, 6-0. Additionally, Go and Charles Deng (Temple City, Calif.) only dropped two games in their respective singles matches as Go topped Strempel, 6-1, 6-1 at No. 5 and Deng defeated Garcia Anton, 6-0, 6-2 at No. 5.
- MIT heads to No. 7 Amherst College for its next match scheduled for Friday, April 13 at 3:00 p.m.