- Score: No. 25 MIT 7, Babson College 2
- Records: No. 25 MIT (9-6, 6-0 NEWMAC); Babson College (10-4, 4-1 NEWMAC)
- Location: Babson Park, Mass. (Babson Tennis Courts)
- The Lead: The No. 25 MIT men's tennis team swept all six singles points after being down 2-1 after doubles to defeat Babson College, 7-2, in their New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) regular season finale on Monday afternoon.
With the win, the Engineers wrapped up their 20th undefeated conference season over the past 21 years and clinched their 19th NEWMAC Regular Season title. MIT will now serve as the No. 1 seed in the postseason tournament, get a first round bye and host a semifinal match next Wednesday, May 2 at a time to be determined later.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Babson jumped out to a 2-1 lead after doubles play as Brandon Rosenbluth and Chris Kolesnik edged Alex Cauneac (Severna Park, Md.) and Albert Go (Merritt Island, Fla.), 9-8 (8-6) at No. 1 and Andre Libnic and Ben Roque topped Michael Zhao (Princeton Junction, N.J.) and Pablo Ampudia (San Antonio, Texas), 8-2 at No. 2. The Engineers picked up their lone doubles point at No. 3 as Tyler Barr (Chagrin Falls, Ohio) and Victor Cheng (Santa Monica, Calif.) edged Dan Levitan and Dylan Pace, 8-4.
- MIT bounced back in singles and won all six points to win the match by a 7-2 final score. Barr, Cheng, Sean Ko (Danville, Calif.) and Charles Deng (Temple City, Calif.) all won their matches in straight set as Barr topped Libnic, 6-1, 6-2 at No. 1, Cheng defeated Kolesnik, 6-0, 6-0 at No. 3, Ko bested Levitan, 6-3, 6-2 at No. 4 and Deng downed Cameron Gruss, 6-1, 6-4 at No. 6.
- Go and Cauneac came from one set down to claim their matches at No. 5 and No. 1 singles, respectively. Go edged Dylan Levy 4-6, 6-3, 10-7, while Cauneac edged Rosenbluth, 5-7, 6-4, 6-4 for the 7-2 team victory.
- MIT closes its 2018 regular season schedule on Friday, April 27 with a non-conference match at Bates College beginning at 4:00 p.m.
- For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Youtube.