- Location: Middlebury, Vt. (Proctor Tennis Courts)
- The Lead: Senior Tyler Barr (Chagrin Falls, Ohio) advanced to the quarterfinal round and classmate Alex Cauneac (Severna Park, Md.) reached the round of 16 in the singles bracket to lead the MIT men's tennis team at the ITA New England Regional Championship Tournament over the weekend at Middlebury College.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Barr, who was seeded seventh in the singles bracket, topped Ben Biswas of Tufts University by a 6-2, 6-4 score before he edged Adam Guo of host Middlebury College, 7-5, 4-6, 12-10 in the second round. The senior made it all the way to the quarterfinals after his 6-4, 6-3 win over ninth-seed Scott Altmeyer of Colby College. Barr was ultimately edged by second-seed Sean Wei of Amherst College, 6-1, 7-5, in the round of eight, but this weekend's run marks the furthest he has been able to make it in the ITA Tournament over his four year career individually.
- Cauneac followed in Barr's footsteps and made it to the round of 16. Cauneac defeated James Kaynor of Trinity University, 7-6, 6-2 and fourth-seeded Andrew Finkelman of Wesleyan University, 5-7, 6-0, 10-5 in the second round. The senior was edged this afternoon by ninth-seeded Jerry Jiang of Bowdoin College, 6-3, 6-2, ending his run.
- In the doubles bracket, Cauneac and junior Albert Go (Merritt Island, Fla.) defeated Court Honda and Jack Wheeler of Springfield College, 8-4, in the opening round yesterday morning. The duo was topped this morning by Peter Frelinghuysen and Alex Taylor of Williams College, 8-5, who were seeded fifth in the tournament.
- The MIT men's tennis team will have about two weeks before they close out the fall season at the Brandeis University Fall Invitational, which will take place from October 13-14 in Waltham.