- Location: Waltham, Mass. (Brandeis University) & Medford, Mass. (Tufts University)
- The Lead: Led by appearances in the quarterfinals of the A singles draw by senior Alex Cauneac (Severna Park, Md.) and classmate Sean Ko (Danville, Calif.) and an appearance in the quarterfinals of the B singles draw by junior Albert Go (Merritt Island, Fla.), the MIT men's tennis team had a successful run at the Tufts/Brandeis Invitational over the weekend.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In the first round of the A singles draw, Cauneac topped Arturo Kam of Williams, 7-6, 6-2 and Ko defeated Oscar Yang of Bowdoin, 6-2, 6-2. Additionally, senior Tyler Barr (Chagrin Falls, Ohio) was edged by Justin Patel of Bowdoin, 6-4, 6-7, 12-10 and junior Victor Cheng (Santa Monica, Calif.) was edged by Andrew Finkelman of Wesleyan, 7-6 (5), 6-1. Ko won his match in the round of 16 by default, while Cauneac topped Luke Carstens of Bowdoin, 6-4, 6-4. The duo rounded out their runs in the singles bracket in the quarterfinal round where Ko was defeated by Noah Farrell, the eventual champion, 6-2, 6-1 and Cauneac fell to Jayson Fung of Amherst, 6-4, 6-4.
- Barr and Cheng were the lone winners for MIT in the A doubles draw as the defeated Nathan Niemiec and Ethan Bershtein of Tufts, 8-4. The double pairing ultimately fell to Princeton Carter and Noah Lilienthal, the eventual bracket champions, 8-2, in the quarterfinal round.
- In the first round of the B singles draw, Go defeated Tristan Young of Bowdoin, 6-2, 6-3 in the first round, Zach Lieb of Wesleyan, 6-4, 4-6, 11-9 in the round of 16 to reach the quarterfinals. In his first collegiate match, freshman Arman Dave (Southlake, Texas) fell to Tyler Ng of Brandeis, 6-4, 6-2. Additionally, sophomore Michael Zhao (Princeton Junction, N.J.) fell to Noah Reich of Williams, 7-6 (2), 6-2 and classmate Pablo Ampudia (San Antonio, Texas) fell to Bershtein, 6-2, 6-0.
- In the A singles back draw, Cheng was victorious over Niemiec, 8-5, while Barr topped Carl-Herman Grant of Tufts, 8-3 before moving onto the quarterfinals and semifinals be default.
- The MIT men's tennis team opens their spring schedule with a matchup at home against Division I Bryant University on Wednesday, February 13 at 4:00 pm.