- Score: Bryant University 4, MIT 3
- Records: MIT (0-1); Bryant University (3-4)
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (J.B. Carr Tennis Bubble)
- The Lead: In its season opener on Wednesday afternoon, the MIT men's tennis team was edged by Division I Bryant University by a 4-3 final score.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Playing with Division I rules there was only one doubles point to be had this afternoon, but MIT came out strong with a sweep in all three matches. Seniors Alex Cauneac (Severna Park, Md.) and Tyler Barr (Chagrin Falls, Ohio) defeated Trent Massam and Andrew Quiros, 6-2, at No. 1, while junior Albert Go (Merritt Island, Fla.) and sophomore Michael Zhao (Princeton Junction, N.J.) topped Andrew Pregel and Alexander Schou, 6-3, at No. 2.
- No. 1 and No. 2 singles was where MIT found its success as Barr defeated Schou, 7-6, 6-0 and Cauneac topped Massam in straight sets, 6-2, 6-3.
- Bryant edged MIT in the final four singles matches to claim the match by the 4-3 final. Ko took the first set of his match at No. 3, but Pregel came from behind to win 4-6, 7-5, 7-5 for the Bulldogs first point. At No. 4, Go and Andrew Forchetti traded sets before Forchetti won the third 6-2.
- MIT will host Division II Bentley University next Wednesday, February 20 at 4:00 pm.
- For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.