- Score: No. 6 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 5, MIT 4
- Records: MIT (2-3); No. 6 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (11-0)
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (JB Carr Tennis Bubble)
- The Lead: In the first meeting between the two teams since the 1995-96 season, No. 6 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps battled back from a 4-3 deficit in singles play to defeat MIT, 5-4, in a non-conference men's tennis match in Cambridge on Tuesday.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The No. 6 nationally-ranked Stags took a 2-1 advantage after doubles play, but it was seniors Alex Cauneac (Severna Park, Md.) and Tyler Barr (Chagrin Falls, Ohio) who earned that point for the Engineers as they topped Julian Gordy and Nikolai Parodi, 8-6, at No. 1.
- Barr continued his success in singles play as he defeated Parodi, 6-0, 6-3, at No. 1 singles. The Engineers also got wins via Sean Ko (Danville, Calif.) and Albert Go (Merritt Island, Fla.) in singles play to even the match score up at 4-4 heading into the final match. Ko edged Gordy, 6-4, 7-5, at No. 3 singles, while Go bested Robert Liu, 6-3, 6-4, at No. 4 singles.
- After CMS took points at No. 2 singles and No. 5 singles it all came down to MIT's Arman Dave (Southlake, Texas) and CMS' Matthew Jacobs at No. 6 singles. Dave took the opening set, 6-3, but Jacobs battled back for the Stags in sets two and three to win the point for CMS, 3-6, 6-4, 6-1 and the match overall, 5-4.
- MIT hosts No. 23 Bates College in its next match which is scheduled for Saturday, March 30 at 1:00 pm.
- For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.