- Score: MIT 7, No. 40 Bates College 2
- Records: MIT (3-3); No. 40 Bates College (3-6)
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (DuPont Tennis Courts)
- The Lead: The MIT men's tennis team picked up its first win over a nationally-ranked opponent of the season today as the Engineers topped No. 40 Bates College, 7-2, in Cambridge. The victory pushed MIT's overall record to 3-3 this spring and to 25-14 all-time against the Bobcats in the all-time series.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- MIT took an early 2-1 lead through doubles action as senior Tyler Barr (Chagrin Falls, Ohio) and Alex Cauneac (Severna Park, Md.) edged Josh Quijano and Duane Davis, 8-6, at No. 1, while senior Sean Ko (Danville, Calif.) and sophomore Pablo Ampudia (San Antonio, Texas) topped Dylan Davis and Jacob Eisenberg at No. 3.
- The Engineers rolled through singles play and won five out of six points to clinch the match by a 7-2 final. All five points that MIT won came in straight-set victories. Cauneac defeated Eisenberg, 6-4, 6-4 at No. 2, Ko. topped Alex Kennedy, 6-2, 6-3 at No. 3, junior Albert Go (Merritt Island, Fla.) bested Ben Eckhardt, 6-3, 6-1 at No. 4, sophomore Michael Zhao (Princeton Junction, N.J.) defeated Alex Jacobs, 6-2, 6-2 at No. 5 and Ampudia topped Davis, 6-2, 7-5 at No. 6.
- The closest singles match of the day came at No. 1 as Quijano came from a set down to defeat Barr, 2-6, 6-2, 10-6 for the lone singles point for Bates.
- MIT opens New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) action on Wednesday, April 3 as the Engineers host Babson College at 4:00 pm.
- For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.