- Score: MIT 9, Babson College 0
- Records: MIT (4-3, 1-0 NEWMAC); Babson College (7-4, 0-1 NEWMAC)
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (JB Carr Tennis Bubble)
- The Lead: The MIT men's tennis team opened New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) action this afternoon with a dominant 9-0 win over rival Babson College inside the JB Carr Tennis Bubble.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- MIT built its lead to 3-0 after doubles play after Tyler Barr (Chagrin Falls, Ohio) and Alex Cauneac (Severna Park, Md.) topped Babson's No. 1 pairing of Brandon Rosenbluthand Alberto De Mendiola, 8-4. The Engineers got an 8-6 win from Albert Go (Merritt Island, Fla.) and Michael Zhao (Princeton Junction, N.J.) at No. 2 as well as an 8-7 victory by Sean Ko (Danville, Calif.) and Pablo Ampudia (San Antonio, Texas) at No. 3 doubles.
- Three of the six singles matches were decided in straight sets in favor of the Engineers as Barr defeated De Mendiola, 6-2, 6-2 at No. 1, Go topped Chris Kolesnik, 6-4, 6-0 at No. 4 and Zhao bested Ron Brody, 6-4, 6-1 at No. 5.
- Babson and MIT played to tie breakers at No. 3 and No. 6 singles but it was Ko who came with a 6-7, 6-1, 10-8 win over Rosenbluth at No. 3 and Ampudia, who defeated Tyler Zhang, 7-6, 1-6, 10-5 at No. 6.
- The Engineers picked up their ninth point at No. 2 singles where Cauneac edged Andre Libnic, 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 for the 9-0 victory.
- MIT steps out of conference play with a road match at No. 5 Bowdoin College on Friday, April 5 at 3:00 pm.
- For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.