- Score: MIT 9, Wheaton College 0
- Records: MIT (6-4, 3-0 NEWMAC); Wheaton College (7-6, 1-1 NEWMAC)
- Location: Norton, Mass. (Clark Tennis Courts)
- The Lead: The MIT men's tennis team improved to 3-0 in New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) play this afternoon as they earned a 9-0 win over Wheaton College on the road.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- MIT and Wheaton played a pair of close matches in doubles play as seniors Alex Cauneac (Severna Park, Md.) and Tyler Barr (Chagrin Falls, Ohio) as well as senior Henry La Soya (Los Angeles, Calif.) and first-year Arman Dave (Southlake, Texas) earned duplicate 8-6 wins at No. 1 and No. 3, respectively. The Engineers went ahead 3-0 after junior Albert Go (Merritt Island, Fla.) and senior Sean Ko (Danville, Calif.) earned an 8-2 win over Jeremiah Ryser and Jorge Aguirre Martinez at No. 2 doubles.
- The closest singles match came at position No. 1 where Cauneac and Ian Tracyneeded a tiebreaking third set to decide the winner. It was ultimately Cauneac who edged Tracy 7-6 (4), 3-6, 10-6 to push MIT's lead to 4-0.
- The remaining five singles matches were decided in straight sets in favor of the Engineers. Barr topped Javier Esteban De Celis, 6-0, 6-2 at No. 2, Ko defeated David Hernaez Sanz, 6-0, 6-1 at No. 3, Go defeated Aguirre Martinez, 6-4, 6-1 at No. 4, sophomore Michael Zhao (Princeton Juction, N.J.) topped Ryser, 6-0, 6-1 at No. 5 and sophomore Pablo Ampudia (San Antonio, Texas) bested Zachary Strempel, 6-2, 6-4 at No. 6.
- MIT is scheduled to play a pair of matches later this week including No. 10 Brandeis University on Friday, April 12 at 3:00 pm and Coast Guard on Saturday, April 13 at 1:00 pm.
- For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.