- Score: No. 32 MIT 9, Emerson College 0
- Records: No. 32 MIT (8-5, 5-0 NEWMAC); Emerson College (9-7, 1-3 NEWMAC)
- Location: Danvers, Mass. (St. John's Prep Tennis Courts)
- The Lead: With a 9-0 win over Emerson College this afternoon on the road, the MIT men's tennis team clinched its 19th New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) regular season title in program history. The Engineers improved to 5-0 in league play this season and are now 11-0 all-time against the Lions in the all-time series dating back to the 2007-08 campaign.
The Engineers, who will be the number one seed in the 2019 NEWMAC playoffs, will host the winner of the No. 4/No. 5 match in the conference semifinals on Wednesday, May 1 at a time to be determined later.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- MIT took a commanding 3-0 lead out of doubles play en route to the 9-0 sweep of Emerson. The closest match in doubles action came at No. 1 as Michael Zhao (Princeton Junction, N.J.) and Pablo Ampudia (San Antonio, Texas) edged Bass Lin and Dan Okin by an 8-5 score. MIT picked up an 8-3 win at No. 2 doubles and an 8-0 win at No. 3 doubles for the 3-0 advantage.
- All six singles contests were won by the Engineers in straight sets. Tyler Barr (Chagrin Falls, Ohio) defeated Lin, 6-2, 6-0 at No. 1, Sean Ko (Danville, Calif.) defeated Maximo Lawlor, 6-3, 6-3 at No. 2, Albert Go (Merritt Island, Calif.) topped Okin, 6-0, 6-1 at No. 3 and Charles Deng (Temple City, Calif.) defeated Mateus De Campos Tin, 6-2, 6-2 at No. 4.
- MIT heads home for the first of three matches this weekend as the Engineers will welcome Vassar College to Cambridge on Friday, April 19 for a 4:00 pm match.
- For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.