- Score: No. 32 MIT 9, Springfield College 0
- Records: No. 32 MIT (10-5, 6-0 NEWMAC); Springfield College (5-8, 0-4 NEWMAC)
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (JB Carr Tennis Bubble)
- The Lead: For the fourth straight season and for the 22nd time in program history, the MIT men's tennis team finished its conference schedule undefeated as the Engineers swept Springfield College in New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) action on Saturday afternoon in Cambridge. MIT now sports an all-time record of 116-1 in NEWMAC regular season contests at the conclusion of this year.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- For the third consecutive match, the Engineers jumped out to a 3-0 lead after doubles play. Seniors Tyler Barr (Chagrin Falls, Ohio) and Alex Cauneac (Severna Park, Md.) topped Court Honda and Drew Delorenzo, 8-4, at No. 1, while sophomores Pablo Ampudia (San Antonio, Texas) and Michael Zhao (Princeton Junction, N.J.) defeated Freddie Moffa and Jack Anastopoulos, 8-3, at No. 2. First-year Arman Dave (Southlake, Texas) teamed up with senior Henry La Soya (Los Angeles, Calif.) for an 8-2 win over Hieu Ton and James Foley at No. 3 to complete the doubles sweep.
- In singles play, senior Sean Ko (Danville, Calif.) battled from a set down defeat Honda, 4-6, 6-2, 10-4 at No. 1, while Go at No. 2, Zhao at No. 3 and La Soya at No. 5 all won their respective matches by 6-0, 6-0 finals.
- Sophomore Charles Deng (Temple City, Calif.) and Dave completed the sweep with their wins at No. 4 and No. 6, respectively. Deng topped Anastopoulos, 6-2, 6-3, while Dave downed Ton, 6-0, 6-1.
- Prior to the start of the 2019 NEWMAC Tournament, MIT will play one final non-conference match next Saturday, April 27 as the Engineers will head to Skidmore College for a 1:00 pm contest.
- For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.