- Score: No. 31 MIT 5, Babson College 1 (NEWMAC Championship)
- Records: No. 31 MIT (13-5); Babson College (14-5)
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (DuPont Tennis Courts)
- The Lead: The MIT men's tennis team earned its 21st straight New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) Championship on Sunday afternoon as the top-seeded Engineers defeated second-seeded Babson College, 5-1, in Cambridge. With the win, MIT receives the league's automatic bid to the NCAA Division III Men's Tennis Championship Tournament which will begin next weekend.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- MIT took its first doubles point at No. 1 after Tyler Barr (Chagrin Falls, Ohio) and Alex Cauneac (Severna Park, Md.) eased by Andre Libnic and Alberto De Mendiola, 8-2. Albert Go (Merritt Island, Fla.) and Sean Ko (Danville, Calif.) doubled MIT's advantage to 2-0 at No. 3 with an 8-3 win over Dylan Pace and Tyler Zhang.
- Babson was able to get one point in doubles play as Brandon Rosenbluth and Chris Kolesnik held off Pablo Ampudia (San Antonio, Texas) and Michael Zhao (Princeton Junction, N.J.) for the 8-6 win. Ampudia and Zhao trailed 6-3 and got within one at 7-6, but Rosenbluth and Kolesnik took the final game to put Babson on the board.
- In singles play, Cauneac put MIT ahead 3-1 with his 6-3, 6-0 win over Libnic at No. 2 and Zhao gave MIT its fourth point with his 6-1, 6-0 win over Zhang at No. 5. Go clinched the match and the championship for MIT with his 6-2, 6-2 win over Kolesnik at No. 4.
- At the time the match was decided, Barr, Ko and Cheng were all up a set in their respective singles matches.
- The Engineers, who earned an automatic bid to the NCAA Division III Men's Tennis National Tournament, will learn where they are headed tomorrow afternoon when the NCAA reveals the field of 43 teams, which will be made up of 35 automatic qualifiers and eight at-large selections from across the country. Babson sees its season come to a close with an overall record of 14-5.
- For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.