March 17, 2006
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - The MIT men's tennis team dropped a tough 4-3 decision to local foe Tufts University on Thursday. For the third match in a row, the Engineers' (3-1) captured the doubles point, but it would not be enough as the Jumbos recorded four singles victories.
Evan Tindell and Thomas Dohlman led off doubles play with an 8-1 win in the top spot. Eric Beren and Peden Nichols fell by an 8-4 margin, but Mark Egan and Kevin Durand gave Tech the edge with a 9-7 victory in the No. 3 position.
Tindell continued to roll in singles play by quickly defeating Ben Alexander, 6-1, 6-0. Dohlman and Beren battled formidable opponents but were defeated by decisions of 5-7, 7-5, 7-5 and 7-5, 7-6 (8-6). Egan lost his No. 4 match to Jon Rubenstein, 7-5, 6-2, while Melvin Makhni was defeated, 6-1, 6-3. Nichols notched MIT's other singles victory with a score of 6-4, 6-4.
In exhibition play, Michael Price lost ton Vinh Tran, 8-6.
MIT vs. Tufts University
Final Team Score: Tufts 4, MIT 3
1. Evan Tindell/Thomas Dohlman (M) def. Paul Roberst/Corey Keller (T), 8-1
2. Sean McCodey/Jon Rubenstein (T) def. Eric Beren/Peden Nichols (M), 8-4
3. Mark Egan/Kevin Durand (M) def. Will Fleder/Matt Gallin (T), 9-7
1. Evan Tindell (M) def. Ben Alexander (T), 6-1, 6-0
2. Will Fleder (T) def. Thomas Dohlman (M), 5-7, 7-5, 7-5
3. Paul Roberts (T) def. Eric Beren (M), 7-5, 7-6 (8-6)
4. Jon Rubenstein (T) def. Mark Egan (M), 7-5, 6-2
5. Peden Nichols (M) def. Corey Keller (T), 6-4, 6-4
6. Sean McCodey (T) def. Melvin Makhni (M), 6-1, 6-3
7. Vinh Tran (T) def. Michael Price (M), 8-6