- Location: Roger Harring Stadium at Veterans Memorial Field Sports Complex (La Crosse, Wisconsin)
- The Lead: Junior Aidan Gilson (Florence, Mass.) advanced to the final of the 3,000-meter steeplechase for the second straight season to lead the MIT men's track and field team on day one of the 2018 NCAA Division III Outdoor Track and Field Championship.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In the discus, MIT senior Cody Bratten (Highlands Ranch, Colo.) finished 12th overall with a throw of 156 feet, seven inches that came on his third and final attempt.
- Senior Chris Sweeney (Woodland Park, N.J.) finished 14th in the 400-meter hurdle prelims as he ran a time of 54.22 seconds. He had come into the championship as the No. 18 seed.
- Gilson capped off the first day of competition for the Engineers in the 3,000-meter steeplechase as he finished fourth in his heat and eighth overall with a time of 9:24.05 to automatically advance to the final for the second straight season.
- The Engineers return to action on Friday, May 25th for day two of the NCAA Outdoor Championship. Competition will resume at 11 a.m. Central time.