- Score: MIT 3, Mount Ida College (25-5, 25-19, 25-18)
- Records: MIT (7-3); Mount Ida (4-4)
- Location: Newton, Mass. (Mount Ida Athletic Center)
- The Lead: A balanced attack helped MIT defeat Mount Ida College, 25-5, 25-19, 25-18, in non-conference men's volleyball action on Thursday night. Junior Andrew Hall (Lynnfield, Mass.) and freshman Colton Stearns (Los Altos, Calif.) both recorded a match-high seven kills for the Engineers.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- MIT raced out to a 10-1 advantage and never looked back as it won the first set, 25-5.
- Tied at three in the second stanza, the Engineers rattled off five straight points to create some breathing room. Mount Ida picked up the next two points but MIT put together an 11-5 run as an ace by senior Sean Kropp (Fairless Hills, Pa.) moved the score to 19-10. Despite the deficit the Mustangs continued to attack, closing the gap to 22-18. The Engineers thwarted the late rally by producing three of the last four points to secure the win.
- Mount Ida scored the first three points of the third set and stayed in front until MIT generated six straight points to go ahead, 11-8. The Mustangs recorded the next three points to tie things up. After trading sideouts, the Engineers put together a 12-5 run to close out the match.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Kropp finished with six kills while sophomore Steven Timberman (Merrick, N.Y.) totaled a match-high three blocks. Senior Suyash Fulay (Wexford, Pa.) paced MIT with six digs, followed by five from freshman Cameron Burnett (Solana Beach, Calif.). In two sets freshman Michael Kulinski (New Lenox, Ill.) posted 24 assists and two blocks as sophomore Yize Dong (Moraga, Calif.) dished out eight assists in the opening frame.
- MIT continues its road trip on Saturday, Feb. 4 when it visits Emerson College for a tri-match with Lesley University starting at 12:00 p.m.