- Score: No. 8 New Paltz 3, MIT 0 (25-18, 25-18, 25-11)
- Records: MIT (11-3, 3-3 UVC); No. 8 New Paltz (12-4, 4-0 UVC)
- Location: New Paltz, N.Y. (Hawk Center)
- The Lead: The MIT men's volleyball team saw its six game win streak snapped this afternoon as the Engineers were swept by No. 8 SUNY New Paltz in a United Volleyball Conference (UVC) contest in New York.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- MIT jumped out to an early 6-2 lead in the first set thanks to an ace by Thomas Nelson (San Ramon, Calif.), solo blocks by Troy Oliveira (San Diego, Calif.) and Yize Dong (Moraga, Calif.) and three errors by the Hawks which forced the hosts to call a timeout. Tied at 12-12, New Paltz went on a 7-2 run to take the lead back at 19-14 and the Hawks never relinquished its lead en route to a 25-18 first set win.
- Tied at 10-10 midway through the second, New Paltz went on a set changing 10-2 run to go ahead 20-12. The Engineers attempted to climb back into the set with their own 5-1 run thanks to an ace by Oliveira and two kills by Skyler Kaufman (Needham, Mass.), but a service error by MIT gave New Paltz a 25-18 second set victory.
- The hosts hit.667 in the final set and registered 17 kills on 24 swings to sweep MIT. New Paltz went ahead 10-2 to open the third and led by as many as 14 late in the stanza as the Hawks won the third 25-11 and the match 3-0.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Kaufman and Nelson led MIT with five kills apiece, while Nick Smith and Aaron Carrk guided New Paltz with 12 kills each. Smith hit .800 with 12 kills on 15 swings for the hosts.
- Nelson and libero Colton Stearns (Los Altos Hills, Calif.) paced the Engineers defense with four digs apiece, while Robert Nolan of the Hawks tallied ten digs of his own.
- MIT returns to Cambridge for the start of a four match home stand that begins on Wednesday, February 27 against non-conference foe Emmanuel College at 7:00 pm.
- For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.