MIT Water Polo Falls to Fordham and St. Francis on the Road

Freshman Patrick Everett
Freshman Patrick Everett

NEW YORK, N.Y. - After defeating Iona College with a score of 12-10 on Saturday afternoon, the MIT water polo team continued traveling through New York to face Fordham University and St. Francis College on Sunday. The Engineers fell to Fordham first by a score of 11-10 after two overtime periods and one sudden death period before going down the road, falling to St. Francis, 18-10. Tech is now 3-7 for the season.

In the exciting, aggressive game against Fordham in the morning, MIT got on the board first when senior Craig Cheney (Sherwood, Ore.) was able to shoot the ball past the goalkeeper less than a minute into the first period. Fordham countered that goal with three of its own, taking a 3-1 lead going into the second period. The Engineers tied the score at 4-4 in the second quarter and took the lead with a score of 6-5 following the third.

At three different points within the remaining six minutes of the final quarter, the score was tied. Following an MIT ejection with just six seconds left on the clock and a score of 9-8 in Tech's favor, Fordham scored another goal, sending the game into overtime. Less than a minute into the first overtime period, the Rams scored a goal to take the lead, but, one minute later, senior Scott Stephens (Los Altos, Calif.) found the back of the net, sending the game into the second overtime period.

Thirty seconds into the second overtime period, Fordham were awarded a five-meter penalty shot, which it used to its advantage, scoring the game-winning goal and ending the game.

Five different Engineers scored goals throughout the game. Cheney led MIT with three goals, while sophomore Ory Tasman (Orlando, Fla.), Stephens and junior Dylan Hallman (La Jolla, Calif.) scored two goals apiece and sophomore Kale Rogers (Newberg, Ore.) scored one. Freshman keeper Nolan Kruse (Orcutt, Calif.) had 11 saves and one steal throughout his time spent in the net, while classmate Ian Zaun (Manhattan Beach, Calif.) had two blocks and a steal.

MIT next traveled a few miles down the road to St. Francis College for an afternoon game. Cheney, once again, scored MIT's first goal, putting Tech on the board less than three minutes into the first period, after St. Francis had already scored three goals. Following a goal by Churukian, St. Francis started the second quarter with a 7-2 lead.

The Cardinal and Gray scored five goals throughout the second period, getting within two goals of the Terriers. Hallman, Churukian, Rogers, Cheney and freshman Patrick Everett (Ann Arbor, Mich.) each notched a goal. In the third and fourth quarters, the Engineers were held to just three goals, whereas St. Francis was able to score eight. The game ended with a Terriers' victory of 18-10.

Seven different MIT players scored goals throughout the 18-10 game. Churukian, Rogers and Cheney led the Engineers with their two goals each, while Hallman, Tasman and freshman Kelly McGee (Pasadena, Calif.) all scored one goal. In net during the first quarter, junior Spencer Boone (Thousand Oaks, Calif.) allowed seven goals and notched three saves and an assist. Kruse allowed two goals during the second period and split the third quarter with Zaun, allowing six goals in all. Zaun registered two saves in the final period.

MIT will host its first games of the season on Saturday, Sept. 28, playing Brown University at 3:00 p.m. and then Connecticut College at 7:00 p.m. The following day, they will travel down the road to face Harvard University at 12:00 p.m.