MIT Comes From Behind to Defeat Iona on Senior Day, 10-9

Seniors Andrew Dorne, Craig Cheney, Michael Farid, Scott Stephens
Seniors Andrew Dorne, Craig Cheney, Michael Farid, Scott Stephens

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – At its final home game of the 2013 season, the MIT water polo team honored its four seniors before playing an aggressive game against Iona College, coming from behind to defeat Iona College by a score of 10-9 on Sunday morning. Yesterday, the Engineers defeated Fordham University by a score of 9-7 before falling to St. Francis College, 12-5. MIT is now 11-12 on the season.

As he did yesterday, sophomore Ory Tasman (Orlando, Fla.) played a strong game, netting three goals and tallying two steals for the Engineers, bringing his total so far this season to 49. Senior Andrew Dorne (Irvine, Calif.) also played well, scoring three goals and notching two steals and an assist.

Tech played strongly against the Gaels right from the beginning, taking a number of powerful shots at net, but the Iona goalkeeper was always able to make the save. MIT trailed by a score of 3-1 by the end of the first quarter following a goal by Dorne, but Tech managed to close the gap a bit when it ended the second period just two goals behind with a score of 5-3.

The game picked up speed in the third quarter, following one goal by Tasman and another by junior Dylan Hallman (La Jolla, Calif.). With five minutes remaining on the clock, sophomore Kale Rogers (Newberg, Ore.) tied the score for the first time this game but, with another Iona goal a minute later, the Gaels look a 7-6 lead.

With a minute remaining, the score was tied, once again, when Dorne found the back of the net again. MIT took the lead for the first time this game with 29 seconds remaining following a great shot from senior Craig Cheney (Sherwood, Ore.) from directly outside the box but the Gaels managed to tie the score at 8-8 with five seconds left in the quarter.

Tied at eight with just eight minutes remaining in the game, both teams turned up the intensity even more in hopes of securing the win. Dorne gave the Cardinal and Gray the lead a minute and a half in when he threw the ball past the goalie for the second time today. Freshman keeper Ian Zaun (Manhattan Beach, Calif.) further helped MIT's efforts with his impressive block 30 seconds letter. With four minutes left, Tech took a 10-8 lead following another goal by Tasman, but Iona netted its ninth moments later. In hopes of scoring the equalizer with 10 seconds left, an Iona shot went just high of the net and time elapsed before the Gaels had another shot, ending the game with a score of 10-9.

Tech will travel down the road to Harvard for the CWPA Northern Division Championships that will be played from Saturday through Sunday, Nov. 9-10. The Engineers will officially end the 2013 season at the CWPA Championships at Brown University from Nov. 22-24.