Water Polo Bests Iona In Sudden Death OT; Falls To St. Francis To Open League Play

Courtesy of David Silverman Photography
Courtesy of David Silverman Photography


- Scores: MIT 14, Iona College 13 (Sudden Death OT); No. 16 St. Francis College 10, MIT 5

- Records: MIT (6-7, 1-1 NEWPC); Iona College (3-9, 0-3 NEWPC); No. 16 St. Francis College (5-5, 3-0 NEWPC)

- Location: New Rochelle and Brooklyn, New York 

- The Lead: MIT senior Kyle Archer (Clovis, Calif.) scored the game winning goal to give MIT a 14-13 sudden death overtime win against Iona College this morning and in the nightcap, No. 16 St. Francis edged MIT, 10-5, as the Engineers earned a split on their first day in conference play. 


- Tied at 12-12 at the end of the first overtime session, MIT sophomore Ward Weldon (Honolulu, Hawaii) gave the Engineers a 13-12 lead 43-seconds into the stanza; however, Iona answered back less than a minute later on a strike by Patrick Hudak which sent the game into sudden death overtime - meaning the first team to score wins. With 16-seconds to play in the sudden death period Archer lined up his shot and buried it to give MIT the win 14-13 over the Gaels in game one of the day.

- MIT started the game up 7-4 after the first quarter as freshman Evan Kim (Irvine, Calif.) registered four of his five goals in the game, but Iona climbed back into the contest as the score sat at 8-7 in favor of the Engineers at the break. In the third, the Engineers got a pair of goals by sophomore Clyde Huibregtse (New York, N.Y.), but the Iona offense kept answering to cut the deficit to one (11-10) heading into the final quarter.

- Huibregtse gave MIT the 12-11 lead with 1:36 to play in regulation, but just 20-seconds later Iona's Quinn Lloyd struck to even the game once again - this time at 12-12. Both teams scored once in overtime before it went to sudden death where Archer gave the Engineers the victory.


- Kim and Huibregtse accounted for nine of MIT's 14 goals as Kim registered a career-high five goals and Huibregtse notched a season-high four goals. Additionally, Kim, Huibregtse and Archer all had one assist.

- Defensively, MIT keeper Hayden Niederreiter (Visalia, Calif.) made a career-high 18 saves and stole the ball twice, while freshman Christian Schillinger (Orinda, Calif.) tallied one steal of his own and Archer, junior Peter Calvaresi (Malvern, Pa.) and sophomore Pat Stefanou (Old Greenwich, Conn.) all drew one ejection.


- In the nightcap, St. Francis scored the game's first five goals before Weldon put MIT on the board late in the opening half. The Engineers cut the deficit to as little as three (6-3) prior to the end of the third, but the Terriers went on a 4-0 run to open the fourth quarter to put the game out of reach at 10-3.

- The Engineers would get back-to-back goals by Huibregtse with 3:29 to play, but it wasn't enough as St. Francis took this game by a 10-5 final.


- Huibregtse scored twice on five attempted shots, while Kim, Weldon and freshman Myles Stapleberg (Monarch Beach, Calif.) all tallied single goals. Defensively, Huibregtse notched two blocks, Calvaresi drew a trio of ejections and Kim and freshman Kevin Downey (Greenwich, Conn.) each grabbed a steal. In the cage, Niederreiter made five saves and stole the ball twice.


- MIT wraps up its trip south tomorrow morning when the Engineers travel to Princeton University for a conference match against the Tigers at 10:00 a.m.


- For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.