- Scores: Brown University 9, MIT 7 (OT)
- Records: MIT (9-11, 2-7 NWPC); Brown University (17-12, 6-4 NWPC)
- Location: Providence, R.I. (Katherine Moran Coleman Aquatics Center)
- The Lead: The MIT water polo team was edged by Brown University, 9-7, in overtime in its final regular season road contest of 2018.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- MIT junior Clyde Huibregtse (New York, N.Y.) scored the game's first goal just 1:07 into the first. From that point on the match saw five ties with the last one coming at 6-6 which sent the game to overtime.
- With the game knotted at 5-5 late in the third, MIT freshman Kyle Sandell (Mountain View, Calif.) recorded his third goal of the game to give the Engineers the lead. However, Brown scored the only goal in the fourth quarter which left the score at 6-6.
- Brown scored three times in overtime and Ward Weldon (Honolulu, Hawaii)scored MIT's lone goal in the extra session as the Bears held on for the 9-7 conference win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Today marked Sandell's fourth hat trick of the season and of his career.
- Defensively, Huibregtse led the Engineers with three steals.
- MIT outshot Brown, 34-27 and went 3-for-6 on the man advantage.
- MIT keeper Hayden Niederreiter (Visalia, Calif.) made 11 saves and record for steals in the effort for the Engineers.
- MIT will close the regular season tomorrow morning with a home match against crosstown rival Harvard University at 11:00 am. Prior to the match, the Engineers will honor their three seniors.
- For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.