- Location: Williamstown, Mass.
- The Lead: On Saturday afternoon at the season-opening Purple Valley Classic, the No. 6 ranked MIT men's cross country team placed third overall out of 23 teams in the meet that featured nine nationally-ranked teams. The Engineers posted 89 points to finish behind No. 2 ranked SUNY Geneseo and No. 3 Williams and in front of No. 10 Amherst.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Freshman Josh Derrick (Winnetka, Ill.) was the top finisher for MIT as he finished eighth out of 284 runners in a time of 25:43.5 over the 8K course. Running a 5:13 mile to settle in, he finished with a 5:11 mile pace as the team's top five crossed within 31 seconds of each other.
- Graduate student Matthew Deyo (Syracuse, N.Y.) placed 15th in a time of 25:58.6, followed by senior Colin Godwin (Cary, N.C.) in 17th in 26:00.9. Sophomore Dennis Maloney (New Albany, Ohio) was the fourth MIT runner in 22nd place in a time of 26:06.9, while freshman Steven Goldy (Centennial, Colo.) was the team's final scoring runner in 27th place at 26:14.6.
- MIT is back in action on Saturday, October 8th as the Engineers head to Franklin Park for the 2016 NEICAAA Championships.