- Location: Elsah, Ill. (Principia North Farm Course - Principia College)
- The Lead: Led by a sixth-place finish by junior Dennis Maloney (New Albany, Ohio), the No. 12 ranked MIT men's cross country team finished sixth out of 38 teams with 214 points at the 2017 Cowbell Classic. The meet is the preview meet for the NCAA Division III National Championship, which will be held on this course on Saturday, November 18th.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Maloney crossed in a time of 25:08.16 to lead the Engineers overall, followed by junior Josh Rosenkranz (Glencoe, Ill.) in 20th at 25:35.70. Senior Alex Knoedler (Canon City, Colo.) crossed in 55th place in with a time of 26:08.31, along with sophomore Billy Woltz (Logan, Ohio) finishing in 66th in 26:16.74. The final scoring runner for the Engineers was senior Nicholas Waltman (Lexington, Ky.), who finished in 76th place in a time of 26:22.13.
- MIT's other finishers in the event were senior David Walter (Middleville, Mich.), sophomore Jake Oeding (Bloomington, Ind.) and freshman Kent Slaney (Palo Alto, Calif.). Walter was 118th in 26:47.90, while Oeding placed 135th in 27:00.57 and Slaney crossed in 211th place at 27:57.77.
- MIT defeated 11 nationally-ranked teams at the meet, including two top-10 squads and seven ranked among the top 20.
- MIT is back in action on Sunday, October 29th as the Engineers head to Franklin Park in Boston, Mass. for the 2017 NEWMAC Championship. MIT enters the championship as the 19-time defending champion as the Engineers are the only school to ever win the NEWMAC title.