- Score: MIT 68, Mount Holyoke College 30
- Records: MIT (19-4; 12-2 NEWMAC); Mount Holyoke (2-20; 0-14 NEWMAC)
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Rockwell Cage)
- The Lead: A strong first half helped propel the MIT women's basketball team to a 68-30 victory over NEWMAC foe Mount Holyoke College on Saturday afternoon. Freshman Cindy Si (San Antonio, Texas) tallied 14 points, 10 rebounds, and three steals for the Engineers while Xajaah Williams-Flores paced the Lyons with 10 points, 10 boards, and three steals.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Mount Holyoke's Leah Hodges opened the scoring after 3:23 elapsed in the game but MIT responded with a 14-1 run which later turned into a 30-9 advantage at halftime.
- The Engineers maintained their comfortable cushion throughout the third quarter as the lead grew to 52-19 courtesy of a layup by junior Cathryn Hart (Charlestown, Mass.) at the buzzer.
- The early stages of the fourth quarter saw both teams trade baskets in what proved to be a balanced scoring performance down the stretch.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Sophomore Taylor V'Dovec (Blaine, Wash.) posted 13 points and nine rebounds for MIT while classmate Maude Gull (Zurich, Switzerland) registered 14 points and seven rebounds in 17 minutes of action. Senior Liana Ilutzi (East Hanover, N.J.) tallied seven boards, six assists, and two steals to round out the squad.
- Hodges totaled seven points, seven rebounds, and three assists while Genesis DiCarlo hauled in seven rebounds for Mount Holyoke.
- The Engineers shot 39.5 percent (30-76) as the Lyons were 20.8 percent (11-53) from the floor. The hosts also finished with advantages in rebounds (55-37), points in the paint (40-14), points off turnovers (25-4), second-chance scoring (12-4), and bench scoring (36-6).
- Both squads are back in action on Wednesday, Feb. 15 at 7:00 p.m. against NEWMAC rivals. MIT will travel to Wellesley College while Mount Holyoke will host Smith College.