- Score: WPI 72, MIT 47
- Records: MIT (20-5, 13-3 NEWMAC); WPI (21-4, 13-3 NEWMAC)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Harrington Auditorium)
- The Lead: WPI outscored MIT, 21-12, during the third quarter en route to a 72-47 NEWMAC women's basketball win on Saturday afternoon. Sophomore Taylor V'Dovec (Blaine, Wash.) powered the Engineers with 12 points, six rebounds, three blocks, and two steals.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- MIT inched out to a 9-4 lead after a three-pointer by sophomore Dolly Yuan (San Jose, Calif.) at the 5:39 mark of the first quarter. WPI responded with a 12-5 run to close the quarter and establish a small cushion.
- The Engineers came within two on two occasions early in the second stanza, the last at 20-18 on V'Dovec's layup with 7:46 on the clock. WPI replied with an 11-4 run during the next 4:30 to create some breathing room before entering halftime with a 35-25 advantage.
- The hosts controlled the action in the third quarter with their pivotal 21-12 scoring performance as MIT was unable to overcome the deficit down the stretch.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Yuan totaled 12 points while sophomore Kara Holinski (Livonia, Mich.) posted 10 points, four rebounds, and three assists. Senior Liana Ilutzi (East Hanover, N.J.) rounded out MIT with seven points and five rebounds.
- WPI produced a 52.7 percent shooting performance while the Engineers shot 34 percent. WPI also led the way in rebounds (36-24), points in the paint (44-18), points off turnovers (15-3), and second-chance points (11-4).
- MIT earned the #4 seed for the upcoming NEWMAC Tournament and will host #5 Smith College in a quarterfinal on Wednesday, Feb. 22 at 7:00 p.m.