- Score: MIT 88, Heidelberg University 54
- Records: MIT (3-0); Heidelberg (1-2)
- Location: Chicago, Ill. (Ratner Athletics Center)
- The Lead: Strong performances in the first and third quarters propelled the MIT women's basketball team to an 88-54 victory over Heidelberg University in the Midway Classic at the University of Chicago on Saturday afternoon. Senior Taylor V'Dovec (Blaine, Wash.) led all players with 20 points while grabbing six rebounds for the Engineers.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- MIT jumped out to a 9-2 lead which grew to 21-7 at the end of the opening quarter.
- Following a jumper by senior Dolly Yuan (San Jose, Calif.), the Student Princes put together a 10-3 run that brought them within 30-22 with 4:02 left in the second quarter. The Engineers replied with a V'Dovec trey on their next possession, kicking off a 10-4 spurt during the next three minutes. Heidelberg countered with back-to-back buckets, entering halftime trailing 40-30.
- Three-pointers by V'Dovec and senior Kara Holinski (Livonia, Mich.) early in the third quarter helped MIT pull away as it outscored the Student Princes, 22-9, in the frame.
- The Engineers continued to cruise in the final quarter as two free throws by senior Maude Gull (Zurich, Switzerland) late in regulation capped the scoring and created MIT's largest lead of the day (88-54).
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Senior Kristen Ngan (Sudbury, Mass.) collected a game and career-high nine rebounds to go along with nine points, four assists, and three steals.
- Sophomore Kylie Gallagher (Upton, Mass.) generated 14 points, six rebounds, and three blocks as freshman Christina Antonakakis (Holmdel, N.J.) registered 12 points and a game-high five assists coming off the bench.
- MIT will wrap up the Midway Classic when it plays host and nationally-ranked No. 7/8 University of Chicago on Sunday, Nov. 18 at 2:00 p.m. Eastern (1:00 p.m. Central).